Pool and Spa

Questions about Pool Repair? Ask an Expert Online.

Pool and Spa

We have a Hot Springs Sovereign Serial # I-441163. Not sure

Customer Question
We have a Hot Springs...
We have a Hot Springs Sovereign Serial # I-441163. Not sure of the year. Just filled it up for the first time since draining early this year and got to turn on and the red light is blinking and does not seem like anything is happening.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Pool and Spa
10/4/2016
Pool and Spa Expert: Billy, Technician replied 1 year ago
Billy
Billy, Technician

My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you. I am looking over your question now and will respond shortly.

When you turn on...does the circulation pump start up?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No it does not.

thank you...that is the initial reason..nothing happens until water is moving and a flow switch makes contact.

The motor could be stuck..and just need to be rotated to find a different spot, it could not be getting power...or it has power, is not stuck...and is bad.

After sitting dormany the motor is usually just seized a little.

Do you have the means to open the circ pump?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am not sure. I can have my husband look at it tonight. Can you tell me how to do that? It has only been sitting thru the summer and it was working fine before we closed it up for the summer.

the pump gets a but of water left in it...and can form a little rust ring, dry out etc..

What we want to do is take apart the pump from the motor...and spin the pump wheel. Then reinstall. Let me see if I have some visual aids...

Billy

This shows how to remove the pump end (wet end).

Really all we want is to be able to reach in and spin the impeller.

See here

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok. I will have my husband try that as soon as he gets home. I will let you know how it goes. IF that does not work, any other suggestions?

Yes there is a progression..

first we make sure it is just not stuck

If not stuck....we see if the motor is powered (has voltage).

If the motor has power...is NOT running..and is NOT stuck = replace motor.

If motor does NOT have power it will be a control board.

NOTE: When dormant we also see rodents make homes and chew wiring...

AND...once you rate the service at the top of the page the question has 30 days of follow up

Billy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what would it be that we MIGHT need to replace? Is it the circulation pump or something else?

it will only be one of 2 things...

the motor itself.

the control board.

Odds in order:

Stuck/seized motor

Bad motor

Bad control board

Motor = circulation pump motor

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is there a certain website that you order parts from that is reliable and not overly expensive? By our serial number, are you able to tell what year our hot tub is?

in the serial number...is that a i or an L at beginning?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It looks like a capital I ... not an L

Ok in 199 they changed the serial number format...would you say this tub is older or younger than 1999 and then I can determine code

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have no idea. We bought it from someone just last year. Sorry.

well if it is NOT older than 1999...it is a 2007 model.

But parts are still available for most all.

Especially motors..

It will actually be fairly easy...

Is it just stuck?

Does it have power?

Did you need more information?

If not I will need you to rate service at the top of the page.

Thank you,

Billy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am not sure yet. I am not at home to check on these things. It will be tomorrow before I can get back to you. Thanks!

No problem. That is why there is a 30 day free follow up after rating service. That way if you need more info you have a month to work on the project.

Billy

Billy
Billy
Billy, Technician