Pool and Spa

Questions about Pool Repair? Ask an Expert Online.

Pool and Spa

How much is this going to cost? Do we continue multiple

Customer Question
times and questions before issue...
How much is this going to cost? Do we continue multiple times and questions before issue is resolved?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Pool and Spa
8/14/2016
Pool and Spa Expert: Billy, Technician replied 1 year ago
Billy
Billy, Technician

I am very sorry your question has not been picked up yet.

I just logged on and found you had not been assisted.

Please let me know if you still need help and I will do my best. Please do not "Rate" as we have not worked toward an answer yet.

If you would like to proceed let me know by replying

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Billy: I'm not seeing any answer to the lengthy information I provided. Please advise.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't see the question I asked. Do you need me to resend?

When you say flow valve are you referring to the flow switch that connects when water starts moving?

And when you cut wires to flow switch did you wire together thus bypassing the switch?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When I did it ran for 10 seconds then reset the recirculating pump. It then started the process all over again.Sorry for referring to it as s valve.

Thank you, ***** ***** the pump "resets" is it dropping the breaker, gfi etc? And then you have to reset?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If I understand your question. No.It cycles again, starting the recirculating pump, running 10 seconds, then shutting down. I touch nothing.Does that answer your question?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It continues to go through the same cycle until I shut off the breaker.

Ok I understand.

It cycles on/off in 10 sec increments when the flow switch is bypassed.

But with flow switch unhooked it runs steady?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have on more piece of information to add. I found a piece of plastic the size of a plump inchworm in the recirculating impeller. Removed it.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Correct. It runs steady when disconnected.

Can you put a meter on the 2 flow switch wires when unhooked...run unit...and tell me if the voltage dances while the pump runs?

You will be measuring the control voltage, not the pump voltage.

I must go offline for a bit but will respond as soon as I log back on.

Billy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
you want me to hook the meter to the two disconnected flow switch wires to see if voltage flutuates. How much voltage should I see? 5volts AC?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Me too. I'll let you know what I find.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you Billy.

The control voltage will/should be 24v ac. I am interested to see if we get a variation instead of seeing a steady 24v.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Zero. No voltage.

and that is with the pump running and wires removed from flow switch?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Correct. No voltage coming from the board. I did not take a reading at the connector (zero insertion type).

then we have a board issue.

There should, at a minimum be 24v sitting on the wire waiting to cross when the flow switch closes. This indicates a board issue which would explain start/stops and fluttering response from flow switch.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Who does board repair? Recommendations?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Billy: thanks for your help and patience. It appears I have a job in disconnecting and labeling everything to take out the board.Before I do I want to make sure it is not another component. Can we rule out the recirculating pump and heater as culprits? I want to make sure before I undertake this task.I do not see any issues with the front of the board so if there is any visible issue it would be on the other side. Any idea what component on the board would have been damaged? This is a 10 year old tub and can't figure out why this would have happened. I have never had an issue.Your thoughts. Thanks for the referral.

The pump and heater are line voltage items. Our problem is the low voltage signal.

It will help when you can see the back of the board for any hot spots...and going over the front with a magnifying glass helps also.

If I told you a component on the board I would be guessing...I am sorry

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Don't be sorry. You have been a big help. I have minimal electronic skills but much better than most people. I collect and rebuild vintage pinball machines. I have learned better troubleshooting skills over time.I will start to label all the lines and take it apart. Might be a few days. I'd like to keep thread open until I get it removed. Ok? I very much appreciate your help.

No problem at all. Just do what you can and respond when you have info.

Keep this on your side without responding....if you do respond the system forces me to answer.

I will wait for your info and I wish you well.

Billy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Billy: I am attempting to remove the board from its enclosure. It appears that someone glued a piece of styrofoam? to the back of the board. Is this normal? I do not want to compromise the board. Suggestions? Thanks.

Yes that is correct. They want you to leave the board in the box and change/service as one unit.

The board is commonly removed. This is similar to the mattress tag myth.

Once your screws are out you can easily start to work the board off.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
are you suggesting to remove the box from the spa and then work the board from the box? It is tight and not much space to pry but I'll give it a try. I hate when companies do this stuff.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Only one screw. 3 standoffs.

any luck?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry Billy I went away for a few days and finally removed the enclosure/board and am shipping to AZ for examination/repair. He stated he would remove and comment once received. It did not go so well to try and remove on my own and I did not want to damage.How do we proceed?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
To be clear board and enclosure are being shipped together. Technician will remove from enclosure to diagnose.

Thanks for the update.

At this point we wait to see the result of the board diagnosis.

Once you are satisfied with the the service you have received here, you will then locate the rating system of 5 stars and rate the service accordingly.

I hope all goes well.

Billy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK. Board will be there by the end of the week. I'm guessing you have worked with Greg before.

Just keep this on your end until ready or the system will force a response from me.

Respond when ready to proceed

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well I was just contacted by Greg at Spa-Tek and there is nothing wrong with the control board. So what next?I sent a detailed description to Greg and am waiting for his reply. Not happy with cost and time only to find out there is no issue with the board. Are we looking at a simple connector issue?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Billy:Some of the information you gave me is incorrect regarding the flow switch. I am unable to cut and paste the reply I received from Greg but would like to forward to you for your review. Please advise.
Billy
Billy
Billy, Technician