Pool and Spa

Questions about Pool Repair? Ask an Expert Online.

Pool and Spa

My electrician drilled into the secondary drain (from

Customer Question
My electrician drilled into the...
My electrician drilled into the secondary drain
(from above). It is a Hot Spring Prodigy Spa.
He cut out a circular piece of the floor
over the secondary drain and the water
began escaping. How can this be repaired?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Pool and Spa
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/13/2016
Pool and Spa Expert: Rick, General Contractor replied 1 year ago
Rick
Rick, General Contractor

What material is the pipe? what size pipe? how accessible is it (how much room do you ave to work)?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It was the floor piece that he drilled out. Made of plywood.
Came out as a cylinder. The drain chamber below the floor
must have been puntured around the circumferance
of the drill. The area is accessible and flat. The piece
could be reinserted into the hole and sealed. But
I don't know if it will hold. There will be pressure on it
from the water in the tub.

So it's not a pipe it's a chamber? made of what material? It can't be plywood. Maybe the plywood is on top but the chamber has to be something else? PVC? HDPE (polyethylene?)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I assume the chamber or pipe below the plywood floor is pvc like
the rest of the piping. The owner's manual doesn't include
schematics of the secondary drain piping.

So if I understand you correctly you have some type of plastic chamber directly below the plywood in contact with the plywood. You retained the piece which I assume was drilled with a hole saw which means the plug/cylinder also has a hole in the middle from the pilot bit. Is the tank material stuck to the back of the plywood or did it fall into the chamber? Is this spot out of the way? not a trip hazard if something sticks above the plywood? how big is the hole?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The chamber wasn't exposed except I believe
around the circumference of the cut. There is a pilot
drill hole. The piece is 1.5 to 2 inches wide.
I'm not home now so I can't look at it. I don't think
anything was stuck to it.

You didn't answer all my questions. Maybe best to get back to me when you get home. A key question related to the type of fix is: is this out of the way.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is not near any of the mechanical
or electrical components. It is pretty much
out of the way and accessible. The area
of the cut is close to the side, that i should
be able to look into the drain pipe with a
flashlight and a dental mirror to see the
damage.
he drilled into.
the drill breacched edge of the
side enoh

I'm thinking your best bet would be an expandable plumbing test plug. A plastic one would be best since a steel one would corrode over time. I asked about where the hole was because this option will stick up above the plywood. The only other option would be to use the piece that was cut out as a plug the use silicone caulk as a sealer and to fill the pilot hole. Silicone was used to hold the glass panels together in the New England Aquarium's 4 story high main display tank. So it can certainly withstand the pressures in this case. Of course this method would require than the piece that was cut out of the tank is on hand.

Do you have any more question?

Rick
Rick
Rick, General Contractor