Pool and Spa
Questions about Pool Repair? Ask an Expert Online.
Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of you situation.
What is getting stained?
What is the pH of the pool water?
Ok but that doesn't have anything to do with the copper staining. If the pH is low it will leach copper out of the heat exchanger in the heater.
It's possible that chlorine in high enough concentrations could cause some copper to leach out of the the heat exchanger which could cause copper staining
I'm going to open this up to my colleagues so one of them can help. Please don't respond (even to acknowledge this post)until you get a response from us. If you respond first it will only delay your answer.
First of all after a plaster refinish, no salt should be added to the pool for a minimum of 30 days. This is due to the minerals of the salt interfering with the calcium in the plaster. I will find the start up procedure and post for you the link. Is the staining a blue color? Did you add any powder type chlorine or algaecide to pool? Also I would like to note that the pH of the pool after plaster has a tendency to raise and has to be carefully monitored for 30 days also. The dust is normal.
Some people say 14 days on the salt water. I am trying to find this for you.
A sequesterer should have been added to prevent this. If you have a heater and you are adding large amount of acid (which is common after a re plaster) the acid can take copper from the heat exchangers and deposit it in the pool. High levels of chlorine can also produce copper salts causing staining as well, especially in soft plaster. The combination of copper being present and chlorine being in water will allow the staining to occur. A sequestering product is always added to new plaster as it can stain so easily - even a garden hose touching the plaster while it is filling. However, check to see if any algaecide added was copper based. Also, there are powder chlorines in the market that have "algaecide" in it which is copper added. Here for your files is Diamond Brite start up:
http://www.sgm.cc/pdf/InfoSheets/Diamond_Brite_web.pdf I am trying to find the National Plasterers Council directions as well. Your heater should have a "by-pass" on it that you can turn off water going into the heater. This is what you do when not heating the pool so the copper tubing is not exposed to chemicals unnecessarily. A by pass would be plumbing with valves when turned that would direct water away from the heater.
HIgh velocity of water can also wear copper off from your heater. This will be evident when you open the heater and examine the heat exchangers.
If we can help guide you, please come back and visit. Please rate me so I get credit for answering. Staining doesn't stop swimming so have a great 4th of July.