Pool and Spa

Questions about Pool Repair? Ask an Expert Online.

Pool and Spa

Thank you. I have a Jacuzzi j480 that is really goofing up.

Customer Question
Hello and thank you....
Hello and thank you. I have a Jacuzzi j480 that is really goofing up. First the LEDs stopped working. Several months later it started a slow leak. Can't tell where it's leaking. Goes down about an inch or two per week.
Just this week I heard one of the jets come on and off several times in a minute. The panel displayed "hold". The temp was 101 but set at 99. The other jet button would not respond at all nor could I change the other . This would happen for a while then all stopped. The next day I went to see about it and the same issues occurred and the temp read 104. When it got to 108 I shut it down. Today I powered up, temp read 94 which is about the high lately here in Texas, but the heater will not stop running even when I lowered the thermostat to 80.
Looking for answers and direction.
Thanks,
David in Dallas
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Pool and Spa
6/18/2016
Pool and Spa Expert: WCohn, Construction Worker replied 1 year ago
WCohn
WCohn, Construction Worker

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi William,
Any ideas so far?

The thermostat is bad.

its not cutting the power when the set temp is reached. How old is the spa?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2007 model. So that is why one of the jet pumps cuts on and off? And the LEDs?

No, but it might be the controller that is not taking the signal from the thermostat. You might want to look at replacing the spa pack that would cure all possible causes

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Spa pack?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Any ideas on finding a hidden leak?

The leak is not something I can help you with. There are no secrets to finding them other than tracing them back to the source. Remember once water is not under pressure its gravity that determines where it flows. I'll post a link to the web page of the spa paks I use

I really like the SMARTTOUCH 1000. You can buy them here

This site works off of an honor system. A positive rating would be great since I answered your original question.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I understand. I was under the impression that it was the problem and not the question we are working for.
Does the controller pry off or is attached underneath?

They usually snap in place. If you can gain access from underneath you'll see how they work.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, I took the Controll pad apart and cleaned out a moth and dirt. Fixed the water leak. Drained and refilled. Got the LEDs working as well as the pumps. The pad flashes the time-flow-time-cool-time and over again. I cannot get the flow going thru the heater which does not come on nor show on display. I have ordered a thermostat. I vented the air out of that pump side. Ideas?

Good job on what you've done so far!! So both pumps work? But no flow sensed?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Correct. I even removed the flow Spenser to see if it was trapped in a bubble

Have you checked the connection of the flow sensor to the pcb ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
as far as wiggling and reconnecting. I couldn't find a multimeter to check current. If the flow senser is bad will it shut off flow and keep heater from coming on?
That its sole purpose. It's there to make sure you don't dry fire the heater. It's next on the list of things to replace.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok

Now I believe I have answered all your questions. At least until you get the parts. In the mean time I'd appreciate a positive rating.

WCohn
WCohn
WCohn, Construction Worker