How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mike G. Your Own Question
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Category: Pool and Spa
Satisfied Customers: 7596
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
Type Your Pool and Spa Question Here...
Mike G. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need to convert my 4 gh voltage swimming pool lights

Customer Question

i need to convert my 4 high voltage swimming pool lights (underwater) to low voltage, The bulbs screw in to the sockets like regular flood light bulbs. I want to use the same wiring and same sockets if possible,
I will need a transformer also. I want to go over the wattage requirements by 25%, can you tell me where to get the transformer and bulbs and provide your opinion on the feasibility of what I want to do. Thank You
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) You 1st need to locate or purchase the low voltage bulbs and confirm if they will have the same Edison based threads that will fit into the existing sockets.

2) Next step is the total quantity of bulbs with the wattage rating needs to be confirmed in order to size the transformer.

3) Next step is to calculate and size the low voltage transformer.

4) Also need to know the approximate distance from the transformer to the last light bulb in the chain in order to calculate the voltage drop.

5) How many low volts will the transformer be? 120 VAC to 12 VDC or a different low voltage size?

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

What is the existing wire size?

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

H, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. You can use an A19LED lamp 12VDC equal to 105W lamp. 4 lamps will need a 12VDC transformer with a minimum 4A output. Available at the link below.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

A 300W outdoor Malibu transformer is available on eBay for $27.00.