Pool and Spa

Questions about Pool Repair? Ask an Expert Online.

Pool and Spa

I have a leisure bay spa with Grundfus circulation pump.

Customer Question
Hi, I have a leisure...
Hi, I have a leisure bay spa with Grundfus circulation pump. The pump has stopped running. How can I tell if it is the pump or controller that is the problem?
JA: Sometimes pool issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Pool Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: Hi, I have a leisure bay spa with Grundfus circulation pump. The pump has stopped running. How can I tell if it is the pump or controller that is the problem?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Pool Technician should know?
Customer: There are no warnings in the indicator panel - just shows 60º temp.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pool Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Pool and Spa
4/18/2016
Pool and Spa Expert: Steve G., Handyman replied 1 year ago
Steve G., Handyman
Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way. Do you have a multimeter so that we can measure voltages?Let me know.Steve
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Looking
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, my old one is broken so I will need to get one - will come back to you ASAP
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK I just got a new one and it is all ready
Hi again. Ok, the pump will run on 120V or 240V. You will need to get the cover off the side of the spa and find the wires that go to the pump and measure the voltage on it. Set the meter to AC Volts and take a measurement. Usually the best way to do this is from the connector at the spa pack (controller). You should be able to push your probes into the top of the connector. See if you can do that - obviously when you think the pump should be running.Let me know. I'll be here.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, got it and tested. There are three wires going to the socket: Black, White and Green. Here are the measurements:
White + Green, 121v
Black + Green, 38v
Black + White, 28v
Hi again. I'm sorry for my slow reply but I have been away from the computer.That sounds to me like the controller is bad. When the pump is supposed to run, you should have 120 or 240 between black and white. It could be the relay or it could be the logic circuits behind it but you need to check the controller.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
So how do I do that?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Steve, I just checked other sockets on the spa pack and they all seem to have 120 between white and green. The spa seems t work normally in other ways: No error in readout, liight works. jets work and air blower works. I am therefore concerned about your answer. The system is wired for 120, not 240 (if this makes a difference). Please come back to me with ideas.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well, it has been a week and nothing - am I going to get an answer?
Steve G., Handyman