Poolservice123
Poolservice123, CPO, CPI, CBP
Experience:  40+ yrs, NSPF Instructor, NC Licensed SwimPool Contractor
67374415

What is the minimum distance in the state of California a pool

Customer Question

what is the minimum distance in the state of California a pool needs to be away from the house and fences?
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Poolservice123 replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. The question you ask is regarded as a Zoning Permit issue and the State does not usually set a distance. This is left to the individual counties and towns for distance from property lines. You can google the county and zoning with "setbacks". This distance differs in different zoning codes and areas. It is always wise to call the local permit office and inquire. They like for you to do that. There may be a different setback for the "structure" which is the pool and for the fence or dec*****, *****ios etc.
Then in the Building Permit area there is a code which is set by a National code that gets adopted or not by the State but can be made stricter by the local permit office. For a set back from a house there is a code that states the pool "structure" cannot enter a 45 degree angle from the bottom of the house foundation unless engineered other wise. This changes if the house is on a slab or on pilings.
Fences are covered under zoning rules. Keep in mind if you have a pool compliant fence (under building code for barriers) and have a dog house or other climbable object near it on the outside of the fence (where you are trying to prevent entrance) it will not pass inspection either. For fences this is an excellent guide by the Consumer Protection Safety Commission that I have attached. I hope I helped you on this matter but even for professionals it can become a confusing issue. If you give me the City and Town I might be able to help although it takes about an hour or more to do the proper research. Also, what is online for the county/town can change and not be noted online. I highly recommend checking with your Zoning official, Building Permit official and lastly but most important the Environmental Health Department as they have set backs as well. Ask about Conservation Areas and requirements at the zoning office also.