Pool and Spa

Questions about Pool Repair? Ask an Expert Online.

Pool and Spa

I have a jetsett hot springs. I recently replace the water

Customer Question
Hi. I have a jetsett...
Hi. I have a jetsett hot springs. I recently replace the water and everything worked fine for a couple of days. Now, I do not get a green light, and the red is not flashing. The water is staying warm to about 90 degrees but will not get to 104. Any ideas?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Ok
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Pool and Spa Experts generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Pool and Spa
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/16/2016
Pool and Spa Expert: Poolservice123, CPO, CPI, CBP replied 1 year ago
Poolservice123
Poolservice123, CPO, CPI, CBP
First a couple of items to check. Is the spa in economy mode or standard mode? Is this a 110V or 240 V model? And finally are any lights working on the topside control panel?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have no idea about economy mode or otherwise. Its probably a 2007 year hot springs jetsetter. The red light is working solid red as I mentioned in my original post. When I drop the temperature down from 104 the green light goes on at 90 degrees. Turn the temp back up and green light goes out. It is. It warming beyond 90 degrees
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
And it is a 110
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is. It warming above 90 degrees
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
And it is not warming past 90 degrees
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
And I unplugged it for about 2 minutes and plugged it back in. And when I drop the temp down from 104 and the green light being out, I hear s click when it hits 90 degrees and the green light goes back on
OK, the original post had the red light NOT flashing and NO green light. But now I see that it is not warming above 90 degrees and it is not warming past 90 degrees. But when it gets to 104 degrees the green light is on, when the temperature goes down to 90 the green light is out. Unplugging the unit will not change the mode or the temperature set point on a hot springs jetsetter. The red light is an indicator light that the tub is on and heating. It sounds like you have the tub set for 104 degrees. When you run the tub the heater cannot work at the same time the jets are running as there is not enough amperage to do this on a 110V model. So the tub heats up to 104, you use it and then the heat drops to 90 or so and then tries to heat up again. This would be normal operation. However if it is not heating to the 104 degrees (I really cannot tell from your description accurately) then you need to check to see if it is in economy mode. In economy mode the jets will work but the heat will not go above 90. If it is not in economy mode than you may have either a temp sensor bad or a problem with the circuit board. I will see if I can find the instructions for mode setting.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. It will not heat above 90. I have had it set for years at 104. The red light is always on and not flashing. When I manually reduce heat from 104 and the green light is not on, the green light goes on when I reduce it to 90 or below. When I start to increase it above 90 the green light goes out and never comes on. The red light stays constant on all the time. If I reduce it again back down to 90 or below the green light comes on again. When I again increase it above 90 the green light goes out and never comes on again
Got it...the indicators are working fine but the tub no longer heats to 104. Let me see if you tub has a circ pump on it and also how to check the mode it may in. You may have pressed buttons accidently which could have set it in summer mode. I'll be right back.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Maybe.....
OK, you do have a Silentmaster 5000 circulation pump. This is a smaller pump than your jet pumps and it is the main pump that heats the hot tub. When it goes bad or has a problem it will not give an error code /.. However when it goes bad or is clogged it usually will not heat the tub at all. The red light is your power indicator light and stays on to show you have proper power. The Ready light goes on when you are within 2-3 degrees of your "setpoint" temperature. So, it sounds like you have somehow set your temp for 90 - which is also indicative of being in summer mode. When you press a temperature button does a little "lock" icon come on the display?
IF a Lock Icon comes on ...follow these steps.To deactivate the TEMPERATURE LOCK, press the LIGHT plus (+) and TEMP plus (+) buttons at the same time and hold them down until the lock symbol is no longer illuminated on the display (approximately two seconds)IF the hot tub is in summer mode there would be a summer icon on the screen and no other back light on the control panel.If neither of these icons are on then you have a problem with either the circuit board, circ pump or sensor.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yes. I lock it at 104
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok how would I get it out of summer mode then, if it is on?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No icon on the screen.... I can unlock it which I obviously needed to do to reduce the temp. The words Set temp appear. I can run it down and run it up. The green light turns on at 90 and below turns off at 91 and above. How do I set it in summer mode?
IF you do not see the summer ICON while pressing any control button then it is not on. However, if you do not see it and it is not in lock then you need to be sure the filter is clean (low flow will turn heat off). YOu need to run the temp up to 104 to set temp. Then the green light will stay off UNTIL it reaches 104 degrees the new set temp. If this does not happen and the filter is clean then you have a pressure switch that has gone bad OR the thermal overload on the circ pump has tripped. For the circ pump to reset you must unplug tub long enough to let the pump cool down and reset itself.I could not find the info on setting summer mode, however by the tub saying set temp I do not think that is the issue.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My circulation pump works.
Good .. Then if you can set the temp at 104 and that shows as your set point and the tub is not heating it is your pressure switch or heater.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The tub heat to 90 degrees only, and. It higher. Mir does heat, but onkynupmto 90 degrees.....
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The tub heats to 90, only, and not higher. It does heat but only up to 90 degrees....
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
And I found out how to turn on and off summer mode.summer mode was not and is not now on...
Yes, we did determine that summer mode was not on. How old are the filters? On a Jetsetter tub while on 110V it can take 24 hours or more to heat up from cold as you know. IF the filters are old (over 2 years) or have not been cleaned recently with a filter cleaner this could also inhibit heating. But if you have new heaters it sounds like either a problem with the sensor or a high limit switch. You can look on your tub to see if you have a reset button on the heater but I don't think this year has one but cannot be sure without looking. We have determined it is not a programming issue (mode issue) which is common so we have determined it is technical. Can you check the power going to the hot tub on a volt meter?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. I'm going to repeat myself on some items. I drained the tub, and refilled it. It came up to temperature which is 104 where I lock it. It stayed at temperature for say three or four days. I do know, when I run jet, the temperature does not work. I get out of the tub, shut off the jets and the green light is off. It was back on the days right after refilling without incidence. I then went out one morning and the tub did not seem hot as usual . I noticed the green light was out, but that is after I was in it, and ran the jets. The green light being out is not unusual because of this being a 110. I checked it later that day, and the green light still was not coming on. So, know you know I've moved the temperature down, and I hear a click when I goes to 90 and the green light goes on. I move it back up to 104, the green light is off, but does. It come on after hours. My filters are new every 12 months, I do. It bother cleaning them I simply replace them with new ones. Today, I put in a gallon of vinsger and a little bleach and ran it jets on for a while, jets off for a while for about three hours. I drained it again, and replaced the filter with new ones. I normally replace filters every July and drain my tub every three months. I'm the only person using this tub, so it does not get much use. With the new filters I do notice a much stronger flow of bubbles from the circulation pump and a strong stream from the circulation 'pee stream' that empties into the filter cavity compartment. City Water went in at about 45 degrees I figure so I'll see tomorrow morning what's happening. I have service people scheduled for Wednesday, and would love to cancel them if you can help.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
And I've never had to pull off the front panel. Remember, I did hear a click when I ran the temp down to 90, and a click when it went over 90.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do not have a meter either. I have an idiot light to determine if a line is live, but not a meter.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
And my jets run, circulation pump runs, lights turn on, i think I've got good power into the spa.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
And I'll add one more item. I have always use Baqua spa treatment. I bought some softener or hardener from them whatever, and this time it had minerals salts in it. I discontinued using that specific stuff because it was building up crap all over the inside of the tub. The last two refills I've scrubbed the tub to get that mineral salts stuff off, and noticed after a refill the water is not clear but cloudy. After this refill though with vinager and bleach running for about three hours and I shop vacced the particles of 'salt' out, the water is clear. That's just and FYI...
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
And if by chance it comes up to temperature now, I'm considering dumping about 3 gallons of vinager in it for cycling for about three days, and then drain again. This tub is about 275 gallons, so three gallons of vinager for three days cycling periodically should not harm anything right? I've never run vinager but for this first time as mentioned above .....
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
And lastly, if I pull the front panel off, how or where would I see. A Possible reset?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
And I checked this morning and it appears the unit is not heating at all.
Vinegar is very acidic and you should not need another acid wash as it could effect the gaskets in the jets and the surface of the tub. Use it to remove the scale and that's it. I understand completely on the Baqua spa "crap"... On the jetsetter the high limit is supposed to reset itself after cooling. I truly believe you have a bad switch, a problem with the recirculation pump or heater board. Rarely in non heating circumstances it is the heater unless corroded. Which is why you do not need any vinegar in the tub. We know the problem is not human error or operation and a service call could be your best solution and feel good that you tried all you could. A reset button would be on the heater which has a little box and it would look like a button to push. That is the best way to describe it. Without testing voltages on the control box equipment there isn't anymore I can tell you to check. I am sorry for that. I hope that all works well for you and you are tubbing it again.!
Poolservice123
Poolservice123
Poolservice123, CPO, CPI, CBP