Pool and Spa

Questions about pool repair? Ask an Expert online.

MY HEATER HAS NOT BEEN USED IN A COUPLE OF YEARS. GIVES ILO…

Customer Question
MY HEATER HAS NOT...

MY HEATER HAS NOT BEEN USED IN A COUPLE OF YEARS. GIVES ILO MESSAGE. THE PROPANE GAS LINE IS ABOUT 30 FEET LONG. HOW LONG SHOULD IT TAKE FOR THE LINE TO FILL WITH GAS? SHOULD I OPEN THE GAS LINE NEAR THE HEATER (OFF) TO BLEED THE SYSTEM?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Pool Technician should know?

EVERYTHING ELSE (WATER PASSAGE ETC) APPEARS NORMAL.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pool and Spa
3/25/2016
Pool and Spa Expert: Rick, General Contractor replied 2 years ago
Rick
Rick, General Contractor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Once you turn the gas on the line is pressurized but it will contain mostly air until you vent the air out. We would shut the valve off at the heater then disconnect the gas line then turn the shut off valve back on until you smell gas then turn it back off and reconnect the line. Be aware that propane is heavier than air so it can pool in low spots. Best to wait 10 to 15 minutes to fire up the heater if the gas smell near the ground lingers after you have reconnected the line. Be sure to check your connection for leaks.