Pool and Spa

Questions about Pool Repair? Ask an Expert Online.

Pool and Spa

Pool heater pipes shakes and shudders all of a sudden and

Customer Question
sounds like there's a stone...
Pool heater pipes shakes and shudders all of a sudden and sounds like there's a stone or something in the pipe
JA: Sometimes pool issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Pool Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: Replaced the pool pump. Had a big vacuumed air block that I had to remove using a plunger. Got system to start working again. Then after a while switched on the gas heater, diverted water via ball valves to go through heater. Ran for about an hour, suddenly sounded like the whole system was exploding . Large banging noise, pipes to heater shuddering etc, then it sounded like something broke loose and sounded like a stone or something running through the pipe. Done it twice now. Diverted water back to bi pass heater. To scared to let it run through heater again
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Pool Technician should know?
Customer: That should be it
JA: Our top Pool Technician is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Pool Technician in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Pool Technician until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Pool and Spa
3/19/2016
Pool and Spa Expert: Fix my Pool and Spa, Owner / Technition replied 1 year ago
Fix my Pool and Spa
Fix my Pool and Spa, Owner / Technition

The sounds you heard was the water in the heater heat exchanger boiling from lack of flow. It is a violent banging and shuddering. In most cases when this is happening the pool pump is not flowing water but it sounds like yours is, so next we go to the INTERNAL bypass valve located in the inlet/outlet header. All heaters are designed with this bypass valve as a safety if too much water is flowing into the heater this bypass valve open a little to allow some water to bypass the heater. Now if the bypass valve is broker or stuck it will bypass too much water and the water already in the exchanger starts to boil. The sounds you heard is most likely pieces of this bypass breaking loose and flowing through the pipes. You need to replace this bypass.

This video will give you an idea where the valve is located. It all depends on your make and model heater.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzHLiba3s1g

Were you ever able to resolve the issue?

Fix my Pool and Spa
Fix my Pool and Spa
Fix my Pool and Spa, Owner / Technition