Pool and Spa

Questions about pool repair? Ask an Expert online.

Have a cal spa 5000 and the jets only work on one side the…

Customer Question
Have a cal spa 5000...
Have a cal spa 5000 and the jets only work on one side the suction quality light is on and the heat light will not come on
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pool and Spa
3/7/2016
Pool and Spa Expert: Fix my Pool and Spa, Owner / Technition replied 2 years ago
Fix my Pool and Spa
Fix my Pool and Spa, Owner / Technition

Cal spa uses a switch called a safety suction. It usually has a blue cover over it in front of each pump, pull the boot back to expose the switch then with the power off jump across the two wires on top of the switch to simulate the switch closing. If when you power the spa back up the safety suction switch closes and the spa operates, then you need to replace that safety suction.

Ok with this will it cause the spa not to heat?

If the pump that is not working is the one that feeds water through the heater then yes if that pump is down you will get no heat. When I say jump across I mean get a piece of wire that you can use as a jumper, then on top of the switch you have two wires one on the very top and one just below it, attach the jumper wire to the two separate posts and power up the spa this will make the circuit board think the switch has closed and allow the pump to run. You can not leave it like this as it is a safety hazard. You must replace switch once you determine this is the cause.