Pool and Spa

Questions about Pool Repair? Ask an Expert Online.

Pool and Spa

My hot springs vanguard had severely the heater relays I

Customer Question
Hi pearl JA: I'll do all...
Hi pearl
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: Hi pearl my hot springs vanguard had severely burnt the heater relays I have replaced the board and now that works fine .when I power it up the control board shows a display but it soon goes off until shut off power and power up again I cannot control the hot tub temp,jets ,lights etc. except at the aux. on inside of tub , have I got a bad circuit board or bad control panel?
JA: Sometimes pool issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Pool Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Pool Technician should know?
Customer: It does heat to 80 degrees but I cannot adjust it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pool Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Pool and Spa
3/5/2016
Pool and Spa Expert: Fix my Pool and Spa, Owner / Technition replied 1 year ago
Fix my Pool and Spa
Fix my Pool and Spa, Owner / Technition

It sounds like it may be a bad topside control. You need to test power at the transformer, this is where the topside gets it's power from, the transformer plugs into the circuit board in the middle I believe. You should have 220 volts into transformer and 24 volts coming out I have seen transformers that are 12 volt out as well. If you have good voltage out of transformer then I would believe the topside has a short since you have a brand new board in there. I would replace the topside.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thank you for responding
after pulling the top side i realized the circuit board is burnt . that i will replace.
i am not sure if it got lightning struck or what, but the relays on the heater board were melted
and i have already replaced it .

OK well then that makes sense that if there was a lightning strike it fried the topside and circuit board. Once you change the topside you should be good.

Fix my Pool and Spa
Fix my Pool and Spa
Fix my Pool and Spa, Owner / Technition