Pool and Spa

Questions about pool repair? Ask an Expert online.

I think my Jandy RS 8 controller is dead, but could also be…

Customer Question
I think my Jandy...

I think my Jandy RS 8 controller is dead, but could also be the transformer. Can you recommend a method that I might try to verify before ordering parts ? I have a multi-meter handy, and I know my way around the main control box pretty well.

Contractor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

All the lights on the Aquilink display are lit up. All buttons on the control board are non-responsive, including reset.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pool and Spa
1/30/2016
Pool and Spa Expert: Billy, Technician replied 2 years ago
Billy
Billy, Technician

hello,

can you first tell me what power value enters the transformer and then the low voltage leaving?

Well, funny story. In trying to measure the primary and secondary on the transformer, the control board suddenly started working. Can't think of what I might have done that I didn't try a dozen times already - removed and retightened wire nuts on the input AC line, discarded the old 9V battery, pushed the reset again - but no forehead-slapping breakthroughs.Now everything is working - transformer seeing 120 VAC on the primary, putting out 27 VAC on the secondary. DC voltages on the red terminal bar seem about right: 9.5 V.
My spa remote doesn't work - I leave that connector disconnected to avoid the ghosting problems discussed here in another thread.Guess I didn't need the expert help after all, but never very comforting to fix something without knowing what you did.