Pool and Spa

Questions about pool repair? Ask an Expert online.

I have a 7-year old Leisure Bay hot tub model LB501s that I…

Customer Question
Hello. I have...

Hello. I have a 7-year old Leisure Bay hot tub model LB501s that I don't have manual for. Can't even locate a website yet. However, problem is my electrician is here to check the heater because temp won't rise above 87 degrees. Though I set temp on 104, the display panel keeps jumping back to Economy or Sleep mode. Again it seems that the heater seems to work, but it is either the circuit board or the control panel. Can you help me or give me advice? Leisure Bay tech does not want to stay on the phone with us. Thank you!

Contractor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Well, the temp is set to 104, but after a few seconds the display jumps from STANDARD to ECONOMY or SLEEP mode. It will NOT stay on STANDARD and therefore the temp stays 20 degrees cooler than what I am setting it too.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pool and Spa
1/26/2016
Pool and Spa Expert: poolguy810, owner - pool and spa service company replied 2 years ago
poolguy810
poolguy810, owner - pool and spa service company

The spa will still heat, or it should, even on economy mode, but it will only cycle twice a day for about 3 hours each time. So, even if it's in economy mode, if your heater indicator light is on up on the topside display, then your electrician should be able to test across both heater terminals at the same time and read 240 volts. if you don't have a heater light lit, then there should be an error code showing what is causing the heater not to come on. Now if you have a heater light, but do NOT have 240 volts at the heater terminals, then the board is bad. If you do have voltage at the heater, then the heating element is bad.

Now you've still got the issue of the EC and sleep modes, that's going to also be a board problem, the topside wouldn't cause that, so all of this may be coming from the board anyway, but the tests listed above will help you narrow it down some. Just let me know if you need more help. Thanks, Jeff

how do confirm the settin without changing the modes

If you put it on EC, and can keep it there for just a few minutes, that's enough time to test out the heater circuit.