garrygoeson
garrygoeson, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Over 27 years Repairing Pool & Spa Equipment,Gas Heaters,& Whirlpool Bath Tubs. Certified by many Pool & Spa Manufacturers.
64048604

I have a Tiger River Bengal spa and it worked perfectly 2

Customer Question

Customer: I have a Tiger River Bengal spa and it worked perfectly 2 days ago. The heat and jets/light are on separate circuits and neither is tripped. Today I went to turn on the jets and the power light is blinking but the water heating normally. I cleaned the filter as I have heard that restricted flow can cause the pumps to cut off. I reset the breaker and it did not help. Any common things I can try next or just call a tech?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Not really.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Pool and Spa Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  garrygoeson replied 1 year ago.

Hi Brian:

My name is Garry. I'll be happy to assist you with your spa.

A blinking Power light indicates that the heater Hi-Limit has tripped. Since I'm assuming that the spa water temp is not above the acceptable range, the more common problem is low water circulation through the heater.

If cleaning the filter did not help, try turning off the power and temporarily remove the filter. Now turn the power on and see if the power light stopped blinking. If this does not solve the problem, check the small circulation pump to see if it is running and returning water back to the spa. Please post your findings here at your convenience. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pulled the filter, and reset the breakers, but no luck. Power light flashing again. I took the panel off and now can hear the pump "try" to start and then quit as the power light starts to blink again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
actually as I pulled the filter, I realized that the water temp is now dropping. My daughter sat in it yesterday and felt heat coming out and now that is not happening.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The circulation pump was working earlier tonight when I checked it and now it appears it is not.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, on further inspection, circulation pump is working but not heating. Sorry to be so disjointed but this is not what I do. :)

You need to be certain the circ pump is moving water and returning it back to the spa. If it is not, it will cause the hi-limit to trip.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will say that I see water circulating in the back right corner of the tub and can feel the little pump moving. yes, circulation pump is working but temp is dropping and no jets.

Are you still seeing the POWER light blinking?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If the circ. pump is moving water through the heater, and the light is blinking, we'll need to troubleshoot the system. Do you have a multi meter and experience using it?

You may have a faulty Hi-limit, but without doing tests we will have no way to know for sure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No sir so I suspect it is time to call a tech. Crap.

I'm so sorry. I truly was hoping this could be a simple fix. I don't want to tell you to replace the Hi-limit, because if this still won't work, it will be an unnecessary expense.

I wish you the best, ***** ***** you have a good New Year!

Take Care,

Garry

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Happy new year to you too. You gave me the info I needed. I do know my limitations. But I will spay the hell outta your dog or cat. Ha ha. Peace my friend.

Well I'm glad to know you got some help from this.