Pool and Spa

Questions about Pool Repair? Ask an Expert Online.

Pool and Spa

I have a 2001 Hawaiian Utopia Made by Watkins Caldera. The

Customer Question
spa works great and was...
I have a 2001 Hawaiian Utopia Made by Watkins Caldera. The spa works great and was moved to build a patio and now the wiring needs to be hooked back up. I have the original documentation and the wiring diagram inside does not match up with the wires that I have to connect. I am very comfortable with power aspect here so just need some guidance on the proper wiring. There is a 240V 50 amp subpanel nearby which splits into a 30amp and 20amp 240V circuits running to the tub. There are a total of 6 wires available. A dedicated ground (Green) a common (white) and two each from the breakers. The control panel in the tub has terminals 1-5 a ground and two wires from the internal heater. I have tried the wiring diagram as document and it immediately trips the GFCI on the 20Amp Circuit for the heater. The tub worked fine when it was disconnected (of course when I was not home).
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pool and Spa
12/20/2015
Pool and Spa Expert: poolguy810, owner - pool and spa service company replied 2 years ago
poolguy810
poolguy810, owner - pool and spa service company

Can you post me a picture of the small circuit board so I can see which one you've got. They've changed the board design several times. Thanks, jeff.

ok, no problem. Now did you disconnect anything at all at the breaker box itself, or just the spa pack? Just want to make sure all the breaker connections are still correct before we continue.

the 50amp is connected and off at the main panel. The 20amp and 30amp circuits are run through conduit to the blue control panel awaiting connection.

Ok, black heater wire on H2

White heater wire on H1

White feed wire from breaker on #5

Your two wires from the 20 amp breaker on 1 and 3 it doesn't matter which one is on which

Your two wires from the 30 amp breaker on 2 and 4 it doesn't matter which one is on which

Get that hooked up and let me know if it's still tripping as that is the correct hook up, if you still are tripping the breaker then we need to disconnect the two heater wires and see if the breaker stops tripping or not. If breaker still trips with the correct connection, then we've got some faulty equipment on the spa that's causing the trip.

Thanks, ***** ***** up as instructed and did a quick power test. 30amp is fine, 20amp trips immediately with h1 and h2 on as well as when h1 and h2 are disconnected.

Ok, at this point we need to disconnect one thing at a time until we isolate what's tripping it. Leave the heater unhooked and unhook the wires going to the small circ pump and try it. Then do each thing until the breaker stays on and let me know where we're at.

Thanks Jeff, I'll need to do this when I get home from work today. I do have a spare pressure switch that I got when we had an issue a while back but I went up not needing it. I will start the diagnostic of removing other components until we get to the bottom of it. Thanks!
Ok, after copious testing I was able to determine that it is actually the 30amp circuit is the one that trips when one leg of the 240 is connected to terminal 2 (either one). The trip doesnt stop by disconnecting the ozone, blower, jet pumps or circ pump. The only way to get it to stop is to disconnect plug p16 that links the main board to the relay board. I did replace the relay board a few years ago, but never the main board. Also the control panel topside has not lit up at all during the testing.
In the picture above the black connector is just above jet pump 1 white p18.

Ok, since the 30 amp is the breaker that is actually the gfci breaker, can you snap me a picture of that breaker in the box so I can see all of the wire connections in it ? The white neutral wire being in the wrong spot can cause exactly the problem you're having.

Ok, so this picture is Before the problems started? If it is, then whenever you get home. Take another look at the 30 amp breaker, make sure the white wire coming up from the spa, is still connected to the left hand side of the 30 amp breaker. I just need to make sure we're not missing the obvious before we move on. Have a great holiday and I'll heat from you when you're back. Jeff

this picture is of the breaker and wiring. The new wiring is identical (the white wires are the same). I can take a picture next week of the current one. The red and blue wires were replaced with Red and Black as the replacement location were just outside the reach of the old wires.

Ok, I'll wait on the new pic and go from there, have a great Christmas ! Jeff

Hello Jeff, I am back now from vacation

Ok, on your 20 amp breaker on the right, I can see the wire hook up on the bottom, but you should have 4 wires down there. Your two got wires, which is your red and black. Then there will be a permanently attached white pigtail wire that goes over to the ground bar. The important one is the second white wire. It should be coming from the spa pack and attached to the N terminal on the bottom of the breaker, NOT going to the ground bar on the right of the breakrrs. It looks to me like it's coming into the box on the bottom, and then goes over to the ground bar, which is incorrect if that's how it's hooked up. Just switch it to the breaker terminal and it should stop tripping. Just let me know. Thanks, jeff

poolguy810
poolguy810