garrygoeson
garrygoeson, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Over 27 years Repairing Pool & Spa Equipment,Gas Heaters,& Whirlpool Bath Tubs. Certified by many Pool & Spa Manufacturers.
64048604

I have a Rheem Spa Heater. It currently will not heat over

Customer Question

I have a Rheem Spa Heater. It currently will not heat over 98-99 degrees vs the ideal hot tup degree of 102. What is preventing it or stopping it?
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  garrygoeson replied 1 year ago.

Hi Terri:

My name is Garry. I'll be glad to assist you with your heater.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. You have my question correct?

Without having the ability to read the display, it will be very difficult to diagnose the issue, but I can suggest some possibilities.

If you have the set temperature above the water temperature, it may possibly be the Temperature sensor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok. The display basically has an up arrow. a down arrow. a round "mode" button. And an on / off toggle switch. The screen has been hit by weather and doesn't light up. I vaguely remember that there are a series of steps that override the heater's governor and allows the tub to heat to 102.

Have you tried this sequence? when you press the "UP" arrow, you are setting the desired temp. Since you can't read the set temp on the display, how will you know if the set temp is above the actual water temp?

Depending on the circuit board you have in your heater, you may be able to replace the display. If your heater has the board where the display is not replaceable, you will need to replace the circuit board.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a panel control box also in my house. I set the temp at 102 yet when I go down to the tub the temp is not 102. When I look at my indoor control panel although set at 102 the indoor panel says 98 as well.

If you give me the complete model and serial # ***** your heater, I could possibly lookup what board you heater has, if you are interested in getting this repaired.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think it needs repair. I think the manual setting on the heater outside needs to be in a different mode. There are a series of steps that do this however I don't have the manual. And I don't remember the steps from last year.

In order for your heater to properly work from the control panel in your house, the set temp at the heater control MUST be set to maximum temperature. Without seeing what temperature it is set to on the heater display, you cannot know if it is at maximum.

You can NOT over-ride the temperature, without setting the heater at it maximum setting.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK so what are the steps to set the maunual heater at it's max?

You will press the "UP" arrow until the max temp reading is shown on the display. Since you are not able to read anything on the display, you have no way of knowing what it is set to. This is why I'm letting you know you will need to get the display to work.

The "override" method you are asking about is to increase the max temp a few degrees. Unfortunately, you will need to see what is on the display in order to successfully do this. I'm sorry, but there is no way around this until you get the heater display to work.

Doe this explanation help you to understand this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK thank you. I'll get the digital display fixed. Thank you.

After you get the display working, if you still need assistance getting the heater to operate properly, post it here and I'll continue to help you.