Fix my Pool and Spa
Fix my Pool and Spa, Owner / Technition
Experience:  Over 24 years in pool and spa service and construction
30729442

I have an old sweetwater bahia spa, which has been turned

Customer Question

I have an old sweetwater bahia spa, which has been turned off for several months. I tried to fire it back up and I am getting weird error codes on the control panel. The heater and circulator pump are running and the tub is coming up to around 95 degrees, but I cannot increase or lower the temperature as the buttons don't seem to work. The function buttons do not work as intended, Rather, if I hold the light button, or the up temp button the jet pumps activate. So the control panel is not operating properly. I don't know if this is somehow locked in a diagnostic mode or an enrgy saver mode, or if the control panel or circuitboard are fried.
1) Is there a way to reset the memory or to clear the bridge on the circuitboard without buying a new circuit board or new control panel.
2) If I have to buy one or the other, how do I diagnose which is bad?
3) while it cycles through several eror codes, it finally settles on one that reads 8F6 and 8FU, but the U is only the bottom three bars.
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Fix my Pool and Spa replied 1 year ago.

well it sounds like a communication error between the circuit board and topside. I would replace the topside as it is much cheaper than the board and most likely the issue with what you are describing. Without as replacement part there is no way to test which it is so go with the cheapest first.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am extremely disappointed with this response, and would prefer to work with another expert.
This response required no expertise whatsoever, and I know nothing more now than I did when I posed the question.
Obviously the top side control has lost SOME communication with the board or the controls would work, and obviously it hasn't lost ALL control or the heater and pumps would not turn on with the switches.
Also, obviously, if I was going to throw parts at this without a proper diagnosis, I would start with the less expensive topside control than the more expensive circuit board, but a proper diagnosis would confirm which component has actually failed, and would prevent me from possibly buying both components when I may ended only one or possibly neither.
I specifically asked for a procedure to diagnose the problem, and not whether I should guess on the more expensive or less expensive component first.
I also asked if the fault could be diagnosed without buying new parts, and if it was possible that it was stuck in a diagnostic mode and how to get it out of that mode. No answers on any of these specific questions.
I advise on this site as well, and I would never attempt to charge a fee for telling someone to just try installing new parts till it works, and to start with the less expensive components first.
Refund please!
Thank you.
Charles

Ok I will opt out but you can not expect a detailed troubleshoot over the internet. The topsides are not designed for any homeowner to fiddle around with the control circuitry if you were a spa technician you would have a test panel etc to properly diagnose the issue but without it you can only remove and replace. Good luck and I hope another expert can help you.