Pool and Spa

Questions about Pool Repair? Ask an Expert Online.

Pool and Spa

I'm having an issue with my hot tub cuircuit
, the

Customer Question
Customer: I'm having an issue...
Customer: I'm having an issue with my hot tub cuircuit
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: the breaker seems to be tripping or never closing
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Electrical Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: how long is a bit? how do you charge people? it's 18 immediately and less if I wait?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Pool and Spa
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
you still there?
11/29/2015
Pool and Spa Expert: Kevin, Licensed Electrician replied 1 year ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Do you have a GFCI as the disconnect switch?

2) Is the hot tub a combo 120 & 240 volt unit or only 240 volts?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the breaker next to the tub is a GFI and its 240 now

Thanks for the reply.

1) How many wires and what are the wire colors for the hot tub connection? 3 or 4 wires?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
there seems to be 4, two black, a white and green
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
there is a 50A breaker at the main panel , it delivers a black, red, white, and ground to the panel next to the tub.
there is a double pole breaker (THQL2150GFI) which has 2 inputs and 4 wires exiting

Thanks:)

1) That is a combo 120 & 240 volt hot tub unit and NOT a 240 volt hot tub model.

2) Terminate the hot tub 2 hots (2 blacks) and the hot tub white neutral (1 white wire) to the double pole circuit breaker.

3) Terminate the hot tub green ground wire to the neutral bus bar or to a separate equipment ground bar.

4) Terminate the white pigtail neutral (curly white wire) from the GFCI breaker directly to the neutral bus bar.

Reply back and let me know how everything works.............Thanks............Kevin:)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
all that is done, an electrician built the circuit. The trouble is that it seems to trip immediately when i try to close the circuit or turn it ON. the levers never move all the way. I removed it and it feels different without supply voltage
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it all seems right and I have pictures of the setup in the panel if you want to see them.

Do you have the white neutral wire from the hot tub terminated to the double pole GFCI breaker or is it landing on the neutral bus bar?

A hot tub GFCI breaker has 3 LOAD side terminations.........ie........2 hots and 1 neutral.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the interesting thing is that the inputs and outputs become common then the breaker is ON and that seems wrong to me.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
can I send you a picture?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
or do you have a diagram of the breaker? it seems weird that the resistance between the two inputs and outputs go to zero when the circuit is closed, basically both load wires are same instead of out of phase or something
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sorry, I thought i had sent this but I don't see it... to answer your questionthe white neutral wire from the tub is going to the breaker which has a white pigtail going to a neutral bar in the box

1) Please confirm............does the hot tub white neutral wire terminate to the GFCI double pole breaker, yes or no?

2) Where is the GFCI located at? At the main electrical panel or at the hot tub disconnect?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1 - yes
2 - in a second panel located next to the tub, I suppose it's called a disconnect but it's hard wired, you can only throw the breaker

OK, Thanks for the confirmation.

1) Based on your replies, it appears that the hot tub and the GFCI disco are wired properly.

It is possible that there is an internal problem with the hot tub. I will opt out of the question and send it over to one of our hot tub experts.

No need to reply back to me, you will be notified once another expert picks up the question.

Thanks............Kevin:)

poolguy810
poolguy810
poolguy810, owner - pool and spa service company