Pool and Spa

Questions about Pool Repair? Ask an Expert Online.

Pool and Spa

I have a two person spa that worked without any problems. It

Customer Question
I have a coleman two...
I have a coleman two person spa that worked without any problems. It was hooked up at my summer camp. On Saturday I turned the breaker off, drained the water, unhooked the electric supply and loaded it on a trailer to haul home and use for the winter. No rough handling just a normal move. I then hooked it up at home exactly as it was at camp and nothing. I checked the power supply going in at the circuit board and there is power to the tub. I also checked the main fuse on the panel located just above the electrical feed and it is fine. Is the a rest button/switch that could have been tripped in the move. I have looked the panel over carefully and there are no loose connections. I did not find any reset buttons either. I have hooked this tub up and unhooked it a few times before without issue. I am 100% sure the power is hooked properly as it is clearly marked.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pool and Spa
I need to know where and what to look for. Not just an answer to is there a reset button! Way too co-incidental to be anything not simple but I am stumped.
Fyi, It is hooked to an independent 50 amp, 220 circuit with #6 wire
10/19/2015
Pool and Spa Expert: Billy, Technician replied 2 years ago
Billy
Billy, Technician

we do not know the existing symptoms..

light lit?

any led?

display?

Is it acting like no power or is just not responding?

What is the current state? Totally dead or just no operation

No led. No the light does not even work. Acts like no power yet there is power to the circuit board but not beyond. Worked perfect before the move. The power is connected correctly to the board.
Acts totaly dead.

thank you, ***** ***** get it out of the way...what is power to board hot wire to ground...and then hot wire to hot wire?

It is clearly marked and I have moved this tub before with no issue. From top to bottom. White then blk then red with seperate ground on bottom
I also used a jumper of #6 wire across large fuse to verify no break in fuse. No difference. Testers also showed power on both sides of fuse.

so is it safe to say there is no meter to see if power is correct? Just because it is wired correctly does not mean the correct power is there...especially with 2 legs of (120)

The feed is coming directly from a new 50 amp breaker in the outside service disconnect panel. I have done complete house rewires with inspections so i am positive two seperate 120 feeds to tub.
The feed is only 20 ft long using #6 wire
On the first connection I used an existing breaker with same result thus the reason I bought a new one to be sure.

I do not doubt the wiring or 2 feeds..even gauge of wire. I also start with a known factor and go from there..I have had one side of 220 breakers bad...I have senn a leg missing.

I usually do not go internal until I have an established known value...then I go from there.

Even to go internal we need a meter to see where the loss is. There is nothing we can do by looking or changing parts..

I used a test meter on the feeds to the circuit panel. Power is correct to both 120 feeds. It just does not make any sense as this tub was connected at camp sarurday morning working as it should. Disconnected at camp and moved to home. Rehooked up exactly the same but now acts like a switch has been turned off. No power to anything beyond the feed. I also installed the hookup from service disconnect panel at camp with no issue. It seems too coincidental to go from perfect to nothing to be an issue with the panel. Could be but very unlikely thus my asking an expert.
I unpluged the feed for the pump from circuit board and tested. No power at that point but if circuit not calling for pump that makes sense to me. I do not understand no led no light. Even if only one feed it would seem like it would not act totally dead. Asking you not telling you but logic leads me to believe that.

That is the issue ...an expert needs to go by fact.

IE: I have 220v confirmed at point *...I go to point * and there is no power. A tester only tells if current is present..not how much...and on 220 circuit , since they use as each other as a return to box...one line shows power on both.

The most common failure with 220v is one leg gone...you still read 120v on each leg..but it is the same 120v...measure line to line and not ground would show 0.

I know you came here for expert advice..but without hard numbers at given points I am guessing..and I do not guess on 220v

One feed would appear dead on a 220v

are you saying put test leads from blk to red feed and see what it reads? I used white to red they white to blk.
Red to blk would show zero is that what you are saying?
Also after going direct from panel to tub I added a 220 ground fault in the circuit. It test trips correctly and does not trip when supplying power to the tub. Just fyi.

with a voltmeter..if wires are correct..

red and black wuold be 220v

red on one breaker

black on the other

white would be at neutral bar in box

ground on ground bar.

The red and black would attach to unit as 220v...

redto white = 120v

black to white = 120v

red to black = 220v

I understand your reply. Did not ck red to blk. White to red was 120 and white to blk was 120. I will try blk to red tomorrow. Yes white is in the neutral bar of service panel and blk and red are in the breaker. I will send my finding of blk to red read tomorrow. Thank you for tonight
I will ck at breaker and at tub

just check it out and let me know. Keep this on your end until ready

Billy

Thank you. Not getting 220 from service panel is the only thing that makes sense at the moment. I will respond tomorrow. No need to reply to this one. Thanks again

sorry but any response from you prompts my end and flags me for a mandatory reply. Just keep this on your end and do not reply until ready,,,disregard any computer generated promts

I went to the trouble of buying a new meter and new wire just to be certain where we were at here. There is 240 to the circuit board. The large fuse is ok. A smaller fuse on the board is ok. There are several (resisters I believe, yellow wrapped with connector pins. ) all have 120 at them. No signs of any breaks or burns on the circuit board. Hooked back up direct from service panel to circuit board to rule out any issue with ground fault breaker in the supply. Now what??????
is there a fuse on the backside of the top control panel that is where I'm looking next
Another fyi while this is a coleman tub it has a balboa brain (lower control board).
Fyi I removed upper control board and took to a friends house with identical tub. Works fine on his tub.
No one has replied in days. I am a filing for my money back
Billy
Billy
Billy, Technician