garrygoeson
garrygoeson, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Over 27 years Repairing Pool & Spa Equipment,Gas Heaters,& Whirlpool Bath Tubs. Certified by many Pool & Spa Manufacturers.
64048604

I have a question on Caldera Niagara spa

Customer Question

Category: Pool and Spa
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
See attached pictures. It was working and then it starting doing this.Thanks Dan
Expert:  garrygoeson replied 2 years ago.

Hi Dan:

My name is Garry. I'll be glad to help with your spa.

Unfortunately, I can't tell by the photo's what problem you are having with your spa. Could you please spell out what your question is?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The spa has four lines on the controller. I am not sure what steps to take next. It was heating, I restarted, cleaned the heating element, tested the heating. etc now I need to know the next step
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The pictures are very obvious if you know spa controls.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is a time stamp on them
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What exactly do you not understand.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The spa startup is not going through, it is not heating. The four lines mean that that the control is not correct, but I just replaced the control. I tested the Termerster and ensured flow through the system.

There is no way for me to zoom in on the pictures, and from the distance they are on the photo, it is difficult to make out what is shown in the display

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
can i email you the video? The site would not let me do it. It clearly shows the lights

Are you able to get any of the functions to work, (jets, light, etc.)? Are you just getting the four lines, or are you also getting any fault codes?

I'm sorry to say, there is no a way to get a video, as the site restricts this.

Caldera is also a part of Watkins Mfg., and I know on some of their other models four horizontal lines on the display indicates a faulty Hi-limit sensor. If you give me the year of your spa, I can look this up to see if they are also using this as a fault code.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it is a 2002. I check the Hi-Limit, the thermester is sending out the correct voltage

What specifically did you do to check the hi-limit?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I check the voltage on it can compared to the chart at various temperatures
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry the resistance

Before checking the hi-limit, did you remove the filter, turn off the breaker, then temporarily operate the spa without the filter?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
even cleared out the heating systems
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
circulation pump is working fine.

O.k. That's good. I was confused when you first said you checked the voltage.

If the resistance of the hi-limit matches the temperature, and the circ. pump is returning water thru the heater and back to the spa at a good rate of flow, and you said you replaced the top side control, then you may have a faulty circuit board.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there anyway to check the top side control - i bought a new one and I have the old one. What could be wrong withe circuit board? Is there a way to test before I buy one?

You can try powering down the spa and unplug the top side control from the board. Check the pins on the board the control plugs into to be sure there is no foreign matter on them and plug in and try again.

whenever I ask the manufacturer if there is a way to check the top side control, the response I get is to plug in a "known working" control to test if the existing one is ok. To me, this means there is no way to test the one you have.

I would guess, since you bought a new top side, and the problem is the same, your original top side may not be the problem.

Did you also check the Temp sensor? It should be checked the same as the hi-limit

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I agree, they both have the same symptoms.I did check the temp sensor. I bought a new one as well. It was heating and all looked good last week after I fixed the heating control board. I though it was fixed. I turned the breakers off and put is all back together and then this problem. Could the main circuit board have gone when I restarted it.

Well, it is always possible there could have been some type of surge that damaged the board, but I can't know for sure. I'm thinking that the resistance from the high limit may not be reading properly on the board, allowing it to "see" it as being tripped. Since everything else you're telling me about appears normal, I don't know what else it could be.

I did notice, in the 2002 manual, it indicates that it would flash "TEMP" on the control panel if there is a problem with the temperature sensor. If you have not had this come up on you control, then it would be the hi-limit.

Was this response helpful?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, we did not fix the problem.
Expert:  garrygoeson replied 1 year ago.

Do you wish to continue troubleshooting the spa?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have replaced the main board and now I need the topside controller. Which one do I purchase