How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Billy Your Own Question
Billy, Technician
Category: Pool and Spa
Satisfied Customers: 22541
Experience:  Licensed in Hydronics and Boilers
Type Your Pool and Spa Question Here...
Billy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to carve a spillway slot onto my gunite spa wall

Customer Question

Hi. I want to carve a spillway slot onto my gunite spa wall (under construction) for overflowing into the adjacent pool. There is a bit of separate between the spa edge and the pool of over 12". Can you tell me how to calculate the needed slope, etc. so the water will spill to the correct location, please? I have one pump for circulation for both the pool and spa ( via a spa overpass valve). Thank you!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.


I do not quite understand the given scope, but if you are channeling water from one fixture to another, you must allow , at minimum, 1/4" per foot slope. This will depend on velocity desired at the spill over point. But 1/4" per foot is the most nonagressive drain.