Pool and Spa

Questions about Pool Repair? Ask an Expert Online.

Pool and Spa

I have a Hayward Heat Pro heat pump pool- I runs an hour to

Customer Question
I have a Hayward Heat...
I have a Hayward Heat Pro heat pump for my pool- I runs for around an hour to an hour an a half (produces heat ok) then blows the breaker back at the panel- breaker will not reset for around 10 min or so- then resets and I can start the unit back up again
and it repeats the cycle
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pool and Spa
9/3/2015
Pool and Spa Expert: HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH replied 2 years ago
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue so do not rate me until we are done thanks. So let’s get started!

If the main breaker is blowing do you have a clamp on amp meter to check your current draw. If not can you check the connections at the main breaker see if one is loose you may just have a bad connection there causing the over current draw. Let me know and we can go from there.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the star rating link on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

I will check the wiring- it will be later tonight before I can respond 1-2 hours

Yes no problem I am around all night after 7pm and on from now and then for the most part!

Checked wiring for tightness on the breaker-- all ok

OK one sec

Can you get a clamp on amp meter to check the current draw...you may just have a bad breaker, I would maybe change that out just to try as that could be the whole issue.

After checking the connection on the breaker which felt tight I really torqued the screws down- still running after 12 hours

Yep I think it is just a breaker issue, you may want to change it out anyway...sounds good though!

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please use the star rating link on your page to rate my service. This will allow you to get directly back to me for FREE followup questions anytime and tips are greatly appreciated thank you!

HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH