Pool and Spa

Questions about Pool Repair? Ask an Expert Online.

Pool and Spa

My Spa Depot Hot Tub has a 2 speed 3 hp motor and past few

Customer Question
My Spa Depot Hot Tub...
My Spa Depot Hot Tub has a 2 speed 3 hp motor and for the past few days it only runs on High Speed. The motor is only 4 yrs. old but was told it was most likely the motor and just to replace it...I think that was a misdiagnosis. I just opened the fuse,
etc. compartment today and noticed that the inside lid of the compartment was black with burnt rubber soot. Then I noticed mostly that the main power wire coming in was burnt and fused to the inside wire...it arced for some reason and was melting..that's where
the burn odor was coming from the other night ..but I thought it was the motor...I have a few pictures to illustrate. Q's are.. ...why didn't a fuse blow first, can this be repaired at a modest cost and will the motor most likely be ok?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pool and Spa
Answered in 1 day by:
8/23/2015
Pool and Spa Expert: Supes0, Pump Repairman replied 2 years ago
Supes0
Supes0, Pump Repairman

It all depends on what caused the wires to short. You said you had pictures?

One cause could be that the wires were overheating and the insulation melted off causing the wires to touch and short (this should have blown a fuse). Why did the wires overheat? LOTS of causes for that. You might be able to just replace the burnt wires and your motor will be just fine (usually there's some other underlying issue that would need to be addressed first, but I've seen motors with cooked wires that were just fine. It all depends on the cause.)

Also look into the vents at the bottom of the motor and see if the windings are copper color still or if they're blackened and burnt. If the windings are cooked, scrap the motor, having it rewound will cost more than buying a new one.

Cost wise, I can't answer without physically inspecting the motor. If it were to come into the shop I work at, I would charge you $40 labor plus parts. (there's really no way I could begin to guess about parts without taking the motor apart). A true 3 horse, 2 speed motor (you need to look at the amperage of the motor to determine the true horsepower on a pool and spa motor as the pool and spa industry likes to uprate everything) would retail in my shop for about $265, so it might be worth having it looked at.

To sum that all up lol, call a local pump repair shop and ask them what their bench charges are then weigh the cost of replacement with the cost of repair and determine if it is worth it to YOU.

OK, first off that's your controls, not the motor. The melted metal is in the connections to your heat element. Just a guess, but that probably shorted out, there's no way to know until it's removed and tested. It also looks like there's some other damaged components in there on the circuit board. You might be looking at a new spa pack (that whole assembly with all the electronics and the stainless tube, which is your heater).
Unfortunately, I highly doubt you'll be able to just replace the damaged wires.
Ok, with that being said, any idea which Spa Pack will be compatible with my SpaDepot Maax Spa? I saw them online. What info. would you need to determine that? I sure appreciate the help. I can replace it myself if I knew which pack you advise.
A local spa repair suggested he can send the board to his AZ repair center to repair reasonably but not sure until he hears from them as he sent them the pics I took. I believe the motor is fine and that the low speed relay simply was part of the melt down... I do appreciate your expertise and direction. My wife misses her tub...desperately..haha..Please advise..thanks, Mick
Going to need some information first. On the outside of the box, is there a model number and a list of features of that pack? I can see in the pics you uploaded that it's a gecko brand.

OK, I made a few calls and it looks like that spa pack is still available. If I were to order one in to my shop, I'd retail it for $697

They also have a newer model, the Y Series (yours is an S Series) that would be $588.

I'd call around locally and give them that model number and options list. Unless you're in metro Detroit (where I am :))

In your opinion, is the S series or the Y series better for my application and I'm fairly handy. Is it something I could install with a few basic tools?

The Y Series is supposed to be an upgrade, but you'll have to change the panel on the top side.

The pack just has unions connecting it to the plumbing for the heater, so that's pretty easy, its just the electrical connections that some people are afraid of. If you can handle the wiring, it should be fairly straightforward.

Do you have a model # ***** the S and Y Pack that I can compare apples to apples and make sure I am ordering the correct pack? you've been so helpful..Mick

The s series model is on the outside of your pack, it was in one of the pictures you posted. The packs are sold based on the options, listed underneath the model on that sticker. If you give a spa supplier that model number and options and tell them you want the Y Series equivalent, they should be able to get you the right one. I can look tomorrow and see if there is a specific model number.

Great. I'll certainly give you the best rating possible for all of your expert work you're doing...I'll watch for response today sometime...have a good day!

The model number they gave me was BDLYE5K353OP.

Make sure you double check the options listed on your old pack to whatever you buy.

And it's my pleasure :)

Supes0
Supes0
Supes0, Pump Repairman