Billy
Billy, Technician
Experience:  Licensed in Hydronics and Boilers
12672042

I have an in ground pool with a Hayward HP65B heat pump. We

Customer Question

I have an in ground pool with a Hayward HP65B heat pump. We just installed it 2 weeks ago. In this entire time of running almost 19 hours a day (starts at 5am and ends at midnight) I have only seen the temperature get to our desired level of 85 once. I live in Ontario and the evenings have been getting cooler but even with a pool cover on over night I am not getting a warmer pool.
If the pool water is at 79 and the outside air is at 70, will the heat pump still be able to produce warm water or am I wasting my time running when the ambient temp is cooler that the pool water temp?
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
It will eventually get evened out a bit more.
The inground has to warm the ground as well around it. The entire cavity acts as a heat sink....once the ground around the unit is acclimated it will run shorter cycles....but you will lose some due to ambient....it currently loses from conductivity and ambient