poolguy810
poolguy810, owner - pool and spa service company
Experience:  Servicing pools and all brands of spas for over 28 years.
32482502

Got a 20+ year old spa with deck built around it. Spa does

Customer Question

Got a 20+ year old spa with deck built around it. Spa does not work - trips circuit immediately. We are selling he house, and would like to get the spa functioning again for the least investment, but don't know where to begin to diagnose/fix the problem.
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  poolguy810 replied 2 years ago.
If you have access to the control pack, the very most common thing to immediately trip a gfci breaker is the heater itself. So if I personally were sitting in front of the control box, with the power off, we would open up the control box and disconnect the leads going the heater terminals inside the control box. Then with the leads disconnected and not touching anything, you try the power again and see if the breaker trips or not. If it does NOT trip, then we know for sure you just have a bad heating element that needs replaced, not a very expensive fix. If you still get the breaker trip, then we begin disconnecting each pump and blower one at a time until we find which one is tripping it. I'm happy to help out with anything you need. Just let me know. Thanks, Jeff