Pool and Spa

Questions about Pool Repair? Ask an Expert Online.

Pool and Spa

We have a 20x40 by 10ft deep inground pool in excellent shape.

Customer Question
In the last two months...
We have a 20x40 by 10ft deep inground pool in excellent shape. In the last two months, the pool maintenance company has sent technicians to clean the pool after it was opened late because of a very cold spring and begining to summer here in Ontario Canada. They left a lot of debris at the bottom of the pool as they did last year. This year however, the level of water in the pool over the last 3 weeks has been dropping, strangely, and wrinkles in the liner have begun to develop over the last 4 to 5 days. This year, as we did last year, I rent a scuba tank and take a vacuum cleaner pool hose and go to the bottom to do the work that the technicians don't seem able to do. This year however, I found four 2 to 3 inch long slits in the liner with multiple surrounding gouge marks in the liner located in the angled corners going to the deep end. Additionally the liner has lots of water behind it and that is why it has shifted and the wrinkles have shown up. Its pretty clear that the pool maintenance company has caused these cuts while they were doing their cleaning about a month ago. What should I do to get this situation resolved. Should I drain the pool to avoid further damage behind the liner? How should I proceed to make a claim against the pool maintenance company to get the costs for repair covered?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pool and Spa
7/27/2015
Pool and Spa Expert: Fix my Pool and Spa, Owner / Technition replied 2 years ago
Fix my Pool and Spa
Fix my Pool and Spa, Owner / Technition
While I do agree that it is most likely the service company that caused the cuts I can not say for certain that they did. My advise is to consult an attorney regarding going after the service company for $ for damages. As for the repairs you have 2 options. Get a diver to go down and put patches over the cuts in the liner this will stop any further water loss, as for the wrinkles, I feel the water under the liner is causing this now the question is this? Is it a high water table naturally occurring under your pool? Or is this the result of the water leaking through the liner. Either way the only way to correct severe wrinkles in a liner is to drain the pool down and set a vacuum behind the liner and suck the liner back into original shape then re-fill pool. I would not drain the pool until you have a plan for resetting the liner in place. I would temporarily dive and patch holes until you get the $ situation worked out with the service company.
poolguy810
poolguy810
poolguy810, owner - pool and spa service company