Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
Experience:  Has written home improvement articles since 2008. Earned South Carolina Residential Builders License in 1991.
75209918

Pentair 320 chlorinator worked well a year. It stopped.

Customer Question

Pentair 320 chlorinator worked well for over a year. It stopped. There is no water entering the chlorinator cylinder containing the chlorine pellets. The hose is connected at the bottom of the cylinder. Turning up the dial has no affect. The pool people here in McAlester OK have no solution, except to suggest we purchase a new chlorinator. The original contractor is not available locally. I have called and left phone messages, but had no response. Can you suggest ways for amateurs to solve the problem.
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Machinc replied 2 years ago.
I will have your answer in one moment
Expert:  Machinc replied 2 years ago.
It sounds like you have already tested the line by disconnecting it from the chlorinator and seeing if the water flows
I am assuming it is not.
Sometimes the control valve at the chlorinator is bad and I am assuming you have already tested it
As you already know the tube that controls the water is quite small.
since you have determined the tube is not obstructed the most likely place is where it actually connects into the main water. pipe
This connection is often made by drilling a small hole into the pipe and then screwing the fitting into the hole.
It is not uncommon for these fittings to become clogged shutting off water flow into the feeder tube.
Disconnecting The hose with the water turned off and then running a small stiff wire through the fitting usually clears the clog.
In some cases the fitting has to be replaced.
Once you have a good flow here and The tube is clear you should have good flow into the chlorinator.
I will be glad to answer any questions you may have Customer