TheHotTubGuy
TheHotTubGuy, Hot Tub Repairman
Experience:  20yrs. experience repairing all brands of hot tubs.
64889713

The open/close valve only seems to be working with the therapy

Customer Question

The open/close valve only seems to be working with the therapy jet and not with the other jets. 1999 Vita Spa
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  TheHotTubGuy replied 2 years ago.
Hello.
My name is***** do my best to answer your question and resolve your issue.
Are you referring to the shut off valves for the plumbing at the pumps and equipment, or the diverter valve (above water) that rotates to change the jet output?
Or...do you mean:
Some Vita tubs use a diverter jet, which is a large under water jet that will rotate positions to change the jet output.
All 3 situations have different solutions and repairs and likely require repair parts. On a '99 model is not unusual for any of these parts to need repair/replacing.
Update me on what your situation is and I can help you further.
Standing by,
Todd
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The diverter valve that is above water. My spa has two- one valve diverts from the jets to the one single "therapy" jet. The other diverts from bubbles in the jets to no bubbles in the jets. The jet diverter I believe is working fine. I am able to turn the bubbles on and off with the therapy jet and not able to turn the bubbles on and off with the normal jets.
It sounds like you are describing an air control. These are simple on/off valves at the top of the shell that allow more/less/no air intake into certain jets and seats.
It is what makes a jet fizzy or not...and more massaging.
For the air controls to work properly the jets they go to must be on fully. Many jets rotate clockwise/cc to open and close, they must be open. Air controls can stick closed or open and do sometimes wear out. The other possible issue is that a tub of that age may need new jets.
The jets do not only shoot out water, but they have internal parts that mix water/air AND DRAW the air from the air controls. In older jets, this ability to draw and mix the air can no longer work. If the jets are spin jets, they often wear out faster and sometimes just pop right out. If the jets are not working correctly, you cannot draw air from the air controls. If the air control is stuck/broken, it will not allow the air to get to the jets.
One classic sign the jets are worn and not drawing air is a dripping or leaking air control when the jets are fully on. This is not always the case.
The big therapy jet is much less likely to stop drawing air correctly due to its very large output. The smaller normal jets will slowly over time get weaker and weaker from lack of ability to draw air and often go unnoticed because of it happening slowly over time.
If you referring to the air bubbles from a blower motor, that is different. Some Vitas will have the ability to "turbo" the jets by adding the power of the air from the blower to mix with the jets. One is air being drawn in under low vacuum from the jets themselves...the other is air being forced into the jets by the electric blower. This is sometimes called the bubbler and will have a on/off button to activate it.
If the blower is working and the jets simply do draw the air like they used to on their own, you likely will need to have the jets replaced...or depending on the jet, maybe new internals can be installed. In either case, it can only be resolved by replacing some or all of the jets. I am only talking about removable parts...not the actual jet body or plumbing...only what you see inside the tub.
If the air control is stuck or broken, you can break the top off and let it stay completely open always or replace it with a new one. It will have to glued on to the plumbing and may require a service call.
In your situation I often do what I call a jet tune-up. That is where I basically replace the jet internals to make them work again. This is not a typical diy job.
I hope this answers your question.
Standing by,
Todd
Have I answered your question? If you still have questions or concerns I will be happy to continue or explain further.
Just reply if you wish to continue. If I have answered your question, please take a moment to give me a kind rating for my time.
Thank you,
Todd