Pool and Spa

Questions about pool repair? Ask an Expert online.

I have recently replaced a new pump in a 2007 Cal Spa. The…

Customer Question
I have recently replaced a...
I have recently replaced a new pump in a 2007 Cal Spa. The new 2-speed pump doesn't run, is very hot to the touch and I only get a relay 'click' when I push the button to run the low or high speed. The cable is a 4-pin connector, plug and play, so I can't imagine that the connection is an issue.
The old pump was just humming and wouldn't automatically go into a filtration cycle. You would have to manually turn on the high speed, and then turn on the low speed (which ran normally).
Any suggestions to troubleshoot?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Pool and Spa
6/27/2015
Pool and Spa Expert: TheHotTubGuy, Hot tub service and repair. replied 3 years ago
TheHotTubGuy
TheHotTubGuy, Hot tub service and repair.
Hello.
My name is***** do my best to answer your question and resolve your issue.
It sounds like the old pump had a bad switch. It starts in hi but not low. The contacts wear out from the thousands of on/off cycles of low speed.
If the new pump is a "dually" motor/pumps on each end, Cal Spas has had a very hard time supplying reliable replacement pumps. I will not even swap a dually with a new model because of new pumps that will not start.
If you do NOT have the dually pump, then there is some other issue. If the pump came prewired, make sure it is the correct voltage. Some systems use a 120v pump, most use a 230v pump...especially if there are 2 pumps.
The wires attach to the motor as follows, please check they are correct:
Red = hi speed
Black = low speed
White = common
Green = ground screw on motor body
The new pump may have a bad start capacitor. Since the motor is getting hot, we can safely assume the fuse is good.
Try spinning the motor shaft using your finger or a screwdriver in the back of the motor. Check the plug at the pump end and box for burnt pins.
Any chance there is something stuck in the impeller binding up the motor? Occasionally a filter check valve will break and get sucked into the pump. It's not common, but it happens.
Check the pump wiring and that it is getting proper voltage. You should have 240v at the white and black wires in low speed and 230v across the red and white wires in high speed. At no time should you have voltage on the red and black wires at the same time.
The pump is wired wrong, it is bound up and cannot turn, the start capacitor is bad, or you have a bad motor/pump...dually motors especially.
I hope this answers your question. Please leave a kind rating, I am still available if wish to troubleshoot further.
Thank you,
Todd
Any update?
Standing by,
Todd
Have I answered your question? If you still have questions or concerns I will be happy to continue or explain further.
Just reply if you wish to continue. If I have answered your question, please take a moment to give me a kind rating for my time.
Thank you,
Todd