TheHotTubGuy
TheHotTubGuy, Hot Tub Repairman
Experience:  20yrs. experience repairing all brands of hot tubs.
64889713

I have a VS501Z that I just changed the heater and have a new top side control VL200 and t

Customer Question

I have a VS501Z that I just changed the heater and have a new top side control VL200 and the spa won't start the top side control goes through a set of numbers and ends up displaying SA , this came with new sensors with the 5.5KW heater the old heater was shot it had a dead short
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  TheHotTubGuy replied 2 years ago.
Hello.
My name is***** do my best to answer your question and resolve your issue.
SA is a faulty sensor. It could be sensor A or B. They are identical sensors just at opposite ends of the heater. Check to be sure the sensors are plugged into the correct places and that they are fully plugged in. Unplug each sensor and make sure the board pins are not bent and that the sensor is inserted completely onto the board.
If you swapped out the topside for a bigger model than the VL200, use the schematic on the box cover to identify the correct dip switch setting for the mini topside. A3 is the usual switch for this setting on the VS501.
I don't think the heater swap damaged the board. Balboa systems are designed to run on default settings without the topside plugged in. Try resetting the power without the new topside plugged in. The low speed pump should start up in about 5 minutes. Wait 10, if the pump does not start up, it is still in a SA error state.
The pump must come on and run after the Pr mode expires. If the pump is not circulating when the heater powers up, it can cause the sensors to heat up very quickly...possibly causing the SA error.
Sensors and flow. You can swap the sensor positions on the board and see if you get the same error. If still an issue, replace the sensors. If that does not fix the problem, you have a bad circuit board.
If I have answered your question thoroughly, please leave a kind feedback rating. I will still be available if you have further questions.
Standing by,
Todd
Any update?
Standing by,
Todd
Have I answered your question? If you still have questions or concerns I will be happy to continue or explain further.
Just reply if you wish to continue. If I have answered your question, please take a moment to give me a kind rating for my time.
Thank you,
Todd