Pool and Spa

Questions about pool repair? Ask an Expert online.

I have a master spa hot tub. Trying to get it going after…

Customer Question
I have a master spa...
I have a master spa hot tub. Trying to get it going after a move. Just replaced one of the 3 amp fuses and the pumps started working. When I tried to adjust the temperature the whole thing shut down. I checked all the fuses and they look good but I don't know if the 30 amp timed delayed fuse is still good. Thoughts?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pool and Spa
anyone out there?? I was chatting with someone.
6/21/2015
Pool and Spa Expert: TheHotTubGuy, Hot tub service and repair. replied 2 years ago
TheHotTubGuy
TheHotTubGuy, Hot tub service and repair.
Hello.
My name is***** do my best to answer your question and resolve your issue.
I will try to help you out. To make things easier for both of us, can you send me pics of the control box, topside, and circuit board?
It will be very helpful to see all the box and wiring, schematic,and board clearly. Then, please describe which fuses you are referring to.
Anything else you can add will be helpful, also. Master spa has several lines and many systems.
Standing by
Todd
I'll take some pictures and send them soon.
Todd,
I'll have to send the photos (5 total) in a couple of emails. I replaced a 3 amp fuse on the left side. Replacing the fuse enabled power to the control panel and the pumps started. The control panel was running through some checks like "purging air", etc. When I pushed the temperature button on the control panel all pumps stopped and the control panel was no longer light. No power again. I checked all the fuses and they look good. However, the 30 amp time delayed fuse is a mystery. I don't know if it's good or not. More pictures coming.
Thank you for the pics...extremely helpful. It's only a couple years old so lets see why you are having this problem.
What's the story with the tub? You said moved...is this your tub and now hooking up somewhere new, or just got it from someone?
Was the tub working perfectly previously and what is different now?
I need you to confirm the input power to the board. You will need a voltmeter/multimeter to check voltage.
Test from Hot 1 to neutral. ?
Test from Hot 2 to neutral. ?
Test from Hot 1 to Hot 2. ?
Test from neutral to ground. ?
What do you get in each reading?
Blowing the small board fuse is unusual. If you are referring to F6 fuse I want to point out that is a .03amp fuse NOT a 3 amp fuse. Big difference. If something is wired wrong, 3amps can kill a board where the .03 amp fuse will blow first. Just a warning.
All fuses can be removed with the power off and checked for continuity and replaced if bad. Please do the voltage check before replacing any more fuses.
Standing by,
Todd
The last couple of pictures. The hot tub was installed last summer at a home we were renting. We found our new home and moved this winter. We expanded the deck and sunk the tub into the deck. A couple of weeks ago we had the power hooked up. I have a volt meter…somewhere, packed and not sure where it is. Looks like I'll have to have someone come out and fix it. Thanks for the help.
It may that you have a neutral and hot wire mixed up. A cheap multimeter is only $20 or less. Harbor freight has them for less than $10.
If the wiring is the issue, it is easy enough to correct. The small fuses are available at electronic supply places and Radio Shack if you still have any where you are. The larger fuses are at Home Depot and good hardware stores. Easy to get A multimeter with a beeping continuity feature will test a fuse easily..and they are very inexpensive.
Maybe a friend or neighbor can loan you one for today? You need to verify the wiring is correct from the box to the board. It may be fine the way it is, but that's where we start on a new install with new issues.
Let me know, I will hang in there with you if you can't today. No worries.
Standing by,
Todd
I'm out of time today and with the work week beginning tomorrow I'm out of time. I was hoping to get this running this weekend but it's just getting too time-consuming. Thanks for your help.