Pool and Spa

Questions about pool repair? Ask an Expert online.

I have. Jandy lrze125 pool heater connected with 120 volts.

Customer Question
It worked last year but...
I have. Jandy lrze125 pool heater connected with 120 volts. It worked last year but this year when it tries startng it trips the 20 amp gfci breaker
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Pool and Spa
Answered in 1 day by:
6/20/2015
Pool and Spa Expert: Machinc, General Contractor replied 3 years ago
Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
I will reply to tour question monentarily.
You have several possibilities that would cause the breakers to trip.
The heater could be bad or have moisture in it.'
The wiring could be bad.
Inspect The heater first/ moisture/ corroded connections/
If all looks well with the heater and the wiring replacing the
breaker would be logical.
Since replacing the breaker did not fix the problem and if there are no wiring
Problems then the heater is most likely bad and will need to be replaced.
Customer
I was looking for more specifics around what in the heater might be bad. It doesn't trip when on only when it starts to ignite because of the large draw to heat the ignition coil. If I plug it into a non gfci circuit it works fine.
That sounds like a moisture issue.
Check around the gas control valve.
( the electric one ) not the manual in line one.
Anywhere where moisture and electricity
can mix. In the vicinity of the heater.
Check for moisture around electrical connections.
Customer
Customer
NOTE:
Having made changes to the grounding system
make sure that all ground devices( rods ,pipes,)
are bonded Together .
Customer