Fix my Pool and Spa
Fix my Pool and Spa, Owner / Technition
Experience:  Over 24 years in pool and spa service and construction
30729442

I have a 30 something year old gunite pool that we just

Customer Question

Hi, i have a 30 something year old gunite pool that we just got refinished last august with sunstone (which we were between the plain marcite we had before and the pebbletech we wanted but couldnt afford). We enjoyed about 2 months of our brandnew looking pool before we got it closed for the winter. When we got it reopened in mid may there was a brown water line stain around the pool above the jets (we had a lot of snow and rain and our tarp cover. The staining of our spillover spa which was also resurfaced was alot worse. The pool guy who opened our pool recommended we acid wash it and he could do it. Well, considering we'd just gotten it redone 6 months prior, we passed. We got the water clear and balanced with relative ease. Per the advice of our local leslies pool store experts, we shocked the heck out of it and scrubbed the stains while the chlorine was super high several times since and the stains havent budged.
T My questions: is it normal to have to acid wash a newly resurfaced pool? Would doing so shorten the life of the new surface. Do you have any product or process recommendations? Should I blame the resurface job and call the contractor who supposedly guaranteed the work and also closed our pool? I mean, its not unreasonable for me to expect my pool not to look 10 yrs old after dropping a ton of money to refinish it just 8 months ago right? Sorry for the novel....just really frustrated. Any insight/advice would be truly appreciated.
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Fix my Pool and Spa replied 2 years ago.
I would use a product called Conquest, you can google this and buy it on line. It is a stain remover that you pour into the water and circulate. I have had great success with this product it is most likely folic acid staining from leaves and acorns and this will remove them. I would not acid wash unless it was a last resort. Try this and see how it works first. It is not a cheap product but it works.
The name is***** it out here:
http://www.njpoolstore.com/sparkle-conquest/