Pool and Spa

Questions about pool repair? Ask an Expert online.

I have a Vita Spa that is about 15 years old. It was working…

Customer Question
I have a Vita Spa...
I have a Vita Spa that is about 15 years old. It was working just fine until an electrician installed a GFI switch in the main breaker box. Now the GFI is constantly tripping.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Pool and Spa
5/29/2015
Pool and Spa Expert: Fix my Pool and Spa, Owner / Technition replied 3 years ago
Fix my Pool and Spa
Fix my Pool and Spa, Owner / Technition
Welcome, how can I help you today? The GFCI is a code requirement now. If the breaker trips instantly it is most likely a bad heater. If it will turn on but trip later you need to determine what is trying to turn on at that moment it may be a pump. The first thing you can try is to isolate the GFCI breaker buy removing the wires from the spa control box put electrical tape on the ends for safety then try and turn the breaker back on, if it trips the GFCI is defective and replace. If the breaker stays on then turn off power again and re-install wires to spa then disconnect the two heater wires make them safe and reset breaker if it stays on the heater is bad, continue this with each component in the hot tub until you find which item is causing the trip then replace that item.