Pool and Spa

Questions about pool repair? Ask an Expert online.

Dimension One Hot Tub has low flow sensor error.

Customer Question
I have a Dimension One...

I have a Dimension One Hot Tub. I have had issues with a low flow sensor error and had short circuit'ed it before getting a new sensor which had solved the problem. That was last year. This year, I am having the same problem, but short circuiting is no longer working. Troubleshooting the problem, I have confirmed there is still significant flow from the heater pump, through the heater coil and back into the hot tub.

I have taken out both filters and confirmed that there is adequate suction coming through both filter ports. I have also taken off the wire connection to the board for the flow sensor and short circuited it at its connection point on the on the main board. Still I have a low flow sensor on the message center. What else could I try?

Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Pool and Spa
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/26/2012
Pool and Spa Expert: Fix my Pool and Spa, Owner / Technition replied 6 years ago
Fix my Pool and Spa
Fix my Pool and Spa, Owner / Technition

You did everything good so far now it has to be either a bad topside display or a bad circuit board. Without having one there is no way to tell which is the issue, the topside is the cheaper of the two items, I would start with that. I have come across this before and replaced the circuit board only to find the topside was the problem and the same happened the next time when I replaced the topside first and the code did not go away until I replaced the board.

The circuit board is more probable but expensive so you will have to make that call. Also try turning the breaker off to the spa for 1 complete hour to reboot the circuit board, be sure the topside display is plugged into the circuit board and everything is snug. Unplug the topside and re insert it into the board just to be sure.

What are you referring to as the topside display? The message center? The board is sending the message to the message center from a trip in the connection to the flow sensor. Is the flow sensor the only component that could cause this? How could the message center send a signal back to the board to cause this, and vice-versa? I believe it is a 98 or 99 nautilus model Dimension One.

If your answer is still the board, do you think there is one particular component of the board that could be malfunctioning? I have had circuit work done to the board previously when a fuse blew and I could send it back to the same repair guys if it could be a simple component within. Also, where would you recommend the best place I check for a good deal on a board? Does anyone supply used or refurbished boards?

The topside control is the display panel that is showing the flow code. The flow sensor is what is telling the circuit board that there is no water flow through the heater. I have seen the display panel read an error code when there was not one present that is why I say the topside control or the circuit board. The display panel is there to show you what the spa circuit board is telling the spa to do.

The part of the circuit board that controls this is a fused circuit that you can not repair only a person (engineer) with knowledge in circuit board construction should do that type of repair. This link will show you a place to purchase a new board just be sure the part numbers are the same, example 01710-79 could be the part number of the circuit board, on the board there should be a label or imprint with a part number (P/N) match this number to get a replacement board. http://www.pool-spa-supplies.com/index.php/electrical/circuit-boards/dimension-one-d1s-p-c-board-1997-1999-01710-79.html

I have jumped the connection to the flow switch and the heater has kicked in, but it hasn't gotten above 60 degrees yet. So I still have a flow sensor error, the heater turned on and is heating to some extent. What else could my problem be?

Check that the circulation pump is flowing water