Pool and Spa

Questions about pool repair? Ask an Expert online.

My raypak rp2100 heater won't ignite. the spark will sound…

Customer Question
My raypak rp2100 heater won't...
My raypak rp2100 heater won't ignite. the spark will sound but no ignition. after several tries I get a LO code and it stops trying.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Pool and Spa
1/2/2012
Pool and Spa Expert: Poolscaper, Pool and Spa Installer replied 6 years ago
Poolscaper
Poolscaper, Pool and Spa Installer
Poolscaper :

Hi, This is Doug. I'm happy to try and answer your questions. Please be as specific about them as possible.

Poolscaper :

i TAKE IT YOUR HEATER IS lp

Poolscaper :

Could be a number of reasons.

Customer:

yes

Poolscaper :

Probably most likely is somthing to do with the gas flow since you're getting spark which wouldn't happen unless your saftey circuit was closed and signifying an "OK status.

Customer:

how do i check that?

Poolscaper :

Please don't take this the wrong way but have you checked #1 - the gas level in the LP tank #2 - The gas valves to be sure they're on at the tank and at the heater

Poolscaper :

How long has it been since you used the heater last?

Poolscaper :

Any issues with it in the recenet past (since it's ran last)

Poolscaper :

Just a sec...

Customer:

yes. even had the tank refilled in case the gauge was wrong

Customer:

a month or two

Poolscaper :

I'm back

Customer:

it started doing this. I thought it was probably the gas pressure due to the tank only having 30% in it. so it hasn't worked since then. i just got it refilled Friday and still won't light.

Poolscaper :

Have you turned the unit completely on and off at the power source?

Poolscaper :

On a LP unit that's the only way you can reset the system. It's a safety feature.

Poolscaper :

Is the on / off on the gas valve itself in the "ON" position?

Poolscaper :

I mean the valve inside the heater...

Customer:

power source like at the fuse panel? or the on off switch on the side, not just the digital panel

Poolscaper :

On the side oof the panel as long as it completely turns off the panel

Poolscaper :

otherwise at the breaker

Poolscaper :

On and off at the dig. panel won't reset the unti

Customer:

i have done both with no change.

Poolscaper :

Ok..

Poolscaper :

One minute...

Poolscaper :

You need to check the ingition cord. It's orange.

Poolscaper :

It runs from the upper area of the control system and then runs down to the pilot assembly.

Poolscaper :

Can you see the orange high tension wire

Poolscaper :

Are you relatively handy with tools?

Customer:

yes i am

Customer:

i don't see it yet...looking

Poolscaper :

The next step is to remove the front panel.

Poolscaper :

Behind that is a ignition module. The orange wire goes up to that module.

Poolscaper :

It connects to the module terminal labeled "Spark"

Poolscaper :

Do you have a small set of insulated pliars?

Poolscaper :

I just want to confirm the spark there first

Poolscaper :

If you don't have insulated grip pliers then we'll go another route.

Poolscaper :

Let me know...

Poolscaper :

You still there...