Pool and Spa

Questions about Pool Repair? Ask an Expert Online.

Pool and Spa

the hot tub does not maintain temperature it is set for.

Customer Question
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Pool and Spa
11/1/2011
Pool and Spa Expert: Poolscaper, Pool and Spa Installer replied 6 years ago
Poolscaper
Poolscaper, Pool and Spa Installer

Poolscaper :

Hi, This is Doug. I'm happy to try and answer your questions. Please be as specific about them as possible.

Poolscaper :

Are you saying that it doesn't maintain any heat until you hit one of the buttons?

Poolscaper :

Or does it maintain heat all the time, just not the temp that you have it set on?

Poolscaper :

I’d love to help you with the issue and I think I can help you find the parts you need if you’ll send me the Make, Model and serial number of the spa as well as any controller box ID information as it’s frequently made by a company other than the spa manufacturer and even then they use alternating brands of controllers. Pictures would be good as well if you have them and please the age of the spa would be great !

If it's the latter of the situations in the above questions, then it's most likely that your temp sensor is bad. If you can send me the model name and number of the eq. pack as well as the spa information Model, yr. manufactured, I can help you much better as some older models have mechanical thermostats which have a combination temp sensor/ temp. setting replacement part.

WARNING!!!

First of all I want to ask you for safety’s sake:

Don’t attempt any instructions you’re unsure of your ability to safely complete. Saving a few bucks isn’t worth risking your life. Water and electricity is a dangerous combination!!!

***Whenever I suggest that you to do anything with the wiring or with opening or checking electrical connections or fixtures please be sure that you:

a) Please unhook the main controller box and all other fixtures from the power source via the plug in, the breaker or un-wire the spa from the power supply.

b) After doing so, then wait for 5-10 minutes before proceeding with any further instructions. Read all instructions fully before commencing on diagnosis work!

ACCEPTING MY ANSWER

Saying Yes to accepting my answer(s) helps me so that I can continue to provide valuable and money saving information to those like you who need advice they can count on to guide them in the right direction for many of the complex repair issues that come up in today’s pool and spa products.

Please accept this answer if;

• You felt I helped steer you in the right direction
  • I spent sufficient time with your issue to earn the very minimal fee
  • I was articulate in describing the actions you could take to remedy the issue

Also, if you feel I went out of my way to be helpful, I’d appreciate any additional tips you feel were well deserved. Please do not accept the answer or tip me if I did not do a proper job of helping you!

If you have any other questions please request me so I can help you with any other issues you may encounter. My handle is “Poolscaper” and I’m on most nights after 8pm Central Standard time in the USA except for Friday nights.

Thanks for your time and allowing me the opportunity to serve you!

Customer :

i will respond tomorrow with pertinent info. i do know it is a Coast Spas unit purchased about 5 years ago

Poolscaper :

Ok, Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Customer :

the unit maintains temperature around 75 degrees. does not heat up unless you hit the high pump buttons. unit is a coast spas sound waves paradise model nwp-54 purchased 5/24/07

Customer :

any answers yet?

Poolscaper :

Sounds like it definately may be the flo switch on the spa not allowing the heater to run while on the lower pump setting. It doesn' seem as though it's bad as it still does work when the pump is producing additional pressure on high speed. Most are adjustable some are not. Do you think you can find the flo switch and if so are you comfortable with adjusting it?

Customer :

i replaced the flow switch recently as the original was leaking. there is an adjustable screwslot in the top. it may be screwed all the way down

Customer :

i adjusted the switch all up and all down. there was no effect. the temperature still maintains aroun 80 degrees.

Customer :

the pool STILL does not maintain the temperature it is set for. it maintains around the 75 degree level until i manually press the high speed pump setting, which i must keep doing until it gets up to the desired temperature, which takes hors.

Relist: I still need help.
still looking for answer
Pool and Spa Expert: poolguy810, owner - pool and spa service company replied 6 years ago
poolguy810
poolguy810, owner - pool and spa service company
Hello, how can I help you today? To be honest with you, it doesnt' sound like the spa heater is working at all. A spa will maintain a temperature of around 75-80 degrees just from the friction of the water being pumped through the plumbing without even having the heat on, which is what is probably happening for you if you're not getting past 80-85 degrees. Does your unit have a heater indicator light either on the spa pack itself or on the topside that shows you when it's heating?
the heater indicator light is on even when maintaining the 75-80 degrees. when i hit the high pump button over and over, i can get the tub up to 105 degrees. it just doesnt do it automatically. the nights lately have been down into the 30's and the unit still maintains 75-80.
ok, do you happen to have a meter so that we could verify that the heating element is actually getting power when it's running?
yes
ok, so when the spa is running on low speed, set your meter to ac voltage and you'll need to carefully touch one lead of the meter to one heater terminal and the other to the other terminal to see if you either have 240 volts or 0 volts. Then repeat the process when you have the high speed pump running and see what you get then. You'll need to remove the cover to the spa control box to locate the heater leads which are normally the wires or copper jumpers strips connected to the stainless steel tube which houses the heater, depending on what brand of spa it is.
will do it tonight and let you know what the result is tommorrow morning
alrighty, i'll keep an eye out for it, thanks, jeff
0 volts on both high and low
Ok, so the heater isn't getting any power to it. Does the topside display indicate that the spa is heating or not heating ?
display shows heating, and as previouly mentioned when i press both pump buttons, the spa will heat up. i have to keep hitting both buttons over the coarse of several hours to get it up to temperature, so there is power to the heaters. when i put the leads of the meter on each of the heater leads i read continuity only but no voltage.
Alright, the spa is only heating up when the pumps are running simply from the heat of the pumps and more specifically the friction if the water speeding through the pipes, the heating elements is doing nothing at all, as its never getting any power. Now the fact that the heater indicator light is on means the circuits are all closed and the board thinks its sending power to the heater, which its not. Anytime you have a board indicating heat but not sending voltage to the heater, it us always a bad board, no doubt about that one .
If you have any doubt and want to test my theory, you can disconnect the heater terminals from the circuit board, then run your pumps like you have been with no power at all hooked to the heater. It will still heat up just from the pumps. If you get me numbers off of the label on the circuit board, i can help you track one down if you want to change it out yourself, but that's definitely the problem. thanks, jeff
will do
Alrighty, just let me know if we've got it nailed down
if there is no heat working, why does the pool still maintain temperature at about 70 degrees even though our days and nights have been in the 30's for some time? all at low pump operation.
A spa will normally maintain a temp of 50 to 80 degrees even with no heater function if outside temperatures are above 30 or so. The pump itself has a motor temperature of about 135 degrees, so that in itself is producing heat under the spa which transfers to the water. Also, the friction of the water constantly flowing through the pipes generates heat as well, even more heat when its on high speed. All of this can still be done with no heater even hooked up to the power, I see it all the time.
the unit is a Coast paradise sound wave model#NWP-54 built in 2007. where do i get the circuit board for the cheapest price

ok, it's probably got a Balboa pack for the controller, but you'd need to look at the label on the control pack itself. If it does say Balboa, then you'll need to take the cover off of the box and get me the 5 digit number off of the white label on the board. From there I can track down the board you'll need.

will get info tonight
alrighty, thanks, the only other brand you might happen to have would be a Gecko pack, but either way, if we have the model number of the pack, we should be good, look forward to hearing back from you. Thanks, Jeff
control panel is a "Spa Builders" model # SC-CF-P122-P212-01-AU11-H4.0-U-RL-JJC-NE-CC6. The cicuit board does not have a manufacturers name listed. The catalogue # is WQ101404-59
ok, let me do some digging and i'll get back with you this afternoon once i track one down.

Well, unfortunately, you can no longer buy just the board for that pack, you have to get the whole control box, which includes the heater as well. To be honest, it will be a much easier installation than doing the board anyway and after checking some pricing, it looks like the whole pack isn't really much more than most circuit boards are. The replacement number for the same pack you have, which by the way, is a Gecko pack, not sure why it says Spa Builders on it, but it's made by Gecko. The part number is

3-72-7079 There are a lot of sites that carry it online, so it would pay to shop around for it, http://www.spacare.com/3-72-7079geckos-classcontrolbox0202-207005.aspx this is just one I pulled up at random. The heater tube will fit exactly back into the same spot your old one is located, so no plumbing modificatoins, but you may need to change or splice the new chords as the plug ins may be different than your current pack. Just let me know if you've got any questions on it or you can hit the Accept button to close out the question. Happy to help out if you still need more info, Thanks, Jeff

poolguy810
poolguy810