poolguy810
poolguy810, owner - pool and spa service company
Experience:  Servicing pools and all brands of spas for over 28 years.
32482502

My hot tub is making a clicking sound, and the jets seem to

My hot tub is making a clicking sound, and the jets seem to be starting and stopping, continually. Any ideas?
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  poolguy810 replied 6 years ago.

poolguy810 :

Hello, how can I help you today? the first thing to check is make sure the water level is up where it needs to be and that the pump isn't starving for water, if this is okay, then can you tell me, is the pump actually turning on and off by itself, or is it continually running and just sporadically pumping water on and off?

Customer:

As soon as I turn on the circuit breaker to the pump, it makes 1 click sound. Then after a couple seconds of the pump running on low speed, the continual clicking starts and the high speed pumps starts pumping for 1 second then goes off. it then keeps repeating the process until I turn it off at the circuit breaker again. I opened up the control box and turned it on again to see if I could see where the clicking was coming from. It seems to be coming from square component that resembles a doorbell transformer. I may be wrong but that is where the sound seems to be coming from. The water level is fine. During normal operation when I first turn on the circuit breaker, the low speed pump clicks on then the high speed runs for about 2 minutes, the air pump also kicks on during this period, it then all goes back to just the low speed and can be controlled by the keypas on the top of the hot tub.

poolguy810 :

ok, it sounds like your low speed relay may be stuck or fused together and not releasing when the high speed pump is trying to engage, if that turns out to be the case, then it's going to mean a new circuit board. With the power off, see if you can look on the wiring diagram on the the control box cover and see which wire coming from your pump chord is the low speed wire, then follow that wire to the relay on the circuit board. once you locate it, the pump chord should have four wires, white, green, red and black, the low speed will be either black or red, once you locate the relay, let me know if it's a cover relay, it will look like a black box and you can't actually see the contact points, or if it's an open relay, we can look to see if the points are gapped as they should be when the system is off, or if they are stuck together causing the low speed to be continually powered up even when high speed is trying to engage at the same time.

Customer:

looks like the pin going to the circuit board for the circ pump was loose, when i touched it it completely fell off. I have removed the board and will try to take it to an electronic repair shop to see if the pin can be resodered. Have you ever seen this happen? Do you think it can be repaired without haveng to replace the entire board?

poolguy810 :

sometimes, as long as it's not the chip on the board, you may be able to get it repaired without replacing the board if the repair shop is good with dealing with stuff like that