Pool and Spa

Questions about Pool Repair? Ask an Expert Online.

Pool and Spa

Why is the Marquis spa unable to heat up?

Customer Question
I have a 2003 Marquis...

I have a 2003 Marquis spa, model #415z. We are not able to heat the spa. The pump cycles however it will not turn the heater on. I have replaced the filter and still nothing. I have a Balboa pump board, Model WH-LZr1MCCAS. We don't have a repair person in our area as they have gone out of business.

We would like to try and fix it ourselves. We also need a new touch panel display plastic cover. The one we have has pulled away from the panel. Do you think this might have caused the problem? I noticed that underneath there is what look like gel type washers around each touch pad button.

Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Pool and Spa
4/8/2011
Pool and Spa Expert: poolguy810, owner - pool and spa service company replied 6 years ago
poolguy810
poolguy810, owner - pool and spa service company

Hello, how can I help you today? If It's the label, then no, that shouldn't affect any thing like that. Is the heater indicator light lit up or not?

JACUSTOMER-pxfic0wk- : No the heater light does not light up
poolguy810 : Ok, any error codes at all on the display?
JACUSTOMER-pxfic0wk- : No there is no error codes that I can see.
poolguy810 : So the display just shows the current temperature?
JACUSTOMER-pxfic0wk- : No it does not show the current temp that I can see. Or is the 80 that is showing the lowest degree available. We live in Michigan so I can assure you that the water is below 80. I am able to move the temp up or down. It also seems like the hot tub will not turn off it just keeps cycling. We did have a problem before all of this. One time we climbed into the tub and within 20 mins the power shut off, the fuse was tripped. One time we went to climb in and the power had tripped a while before because the water temp was 82 so we couldn't go in. I am not sure if this was caused by the control pad cover coming away from the controls or what. We have not noticed that the power has been tripped since and its been a week or so but we don't have heat.
poolguy810 : Do you have a meter we can check some voltage points?
JACUSTOMER-pxfic0wk- : I have a cousin that is bringing a meter and knows electrical. Let me know what areas we need to check and we can get it done today or tomorrow.
poolguy810 : Ok, the first thing you'd need to check inside the box, is the heating element itself to see if it's getting 220 volts across the two terminals. Also, if you can get me a picture of the topside controller and the numbers off of your box down below, I can get you some part numbers for the topside as it sounds like you're going to need one, and it could be the cause of your problems if we don't find any other problems down below.
JACUSTOMER-pxfic0wk- : Ok, its late tonight so we will check this first thing in the am. How do you send you pics on this site, or how do you want me to send you pics?
poolguy810 : There should be an attachment tool on your screen to add pictures, my screen is different than yours, but my attachment tool is right in the middle of my tool list. I'll be on and off tomorrow, but will keep an eye out for your pics, if you have problems you can send them to *****@******.*** if you want as well.
JACUSTOMER-pxfic0wk- : Sorry for the delay we thought the problem was fixed because the heater just started to work again. It worked for a while and just this week it stopped working again. We had someone come out and they told us that the problem was the circuit board PN#600-6283. We can't afford to have this part replace, is there a way that we can check to make sure this is the correct part that needs to be replaced?
poolguy810 : Well, there's no easy way to test a board other than the fact that if your topside controller has the heater indicator light on, you can check at the heating element to see if there's 220v there. if the topside shows heat and the element doesn't have the voltage, then the board is bad, or if there are no error codes on the topside and there's no power to the heater, then the board is bad. The other option is to dismantle the board from the box and look at the backside of it to inspect for burnt spots. Most boards go out directly behind the heater relays on the board due to the fact that they run the hottest and carry the most amps through them. what kind of price did they give you on the board, it shouldn't be more than $320 or so.
JACUSTOMER-pxfic0wk- :The heat is holding at 85 to 89 so the topside does not show heat. The heat light indicator does not come on. We don't know that there is not power to the heater we are just taking his word. He gave us a price of 329 + 19 ship + 125 to install. Is this something we can install ourselves if we can buy the part?
One other thing that is going on with the hot tub is that the pump is continuing to run. We are afraid that we might end up burning out something else on the tub. We are going to shut it down for now, however we live in MI. The weather is currently 43.
poolguy810 : Ok, on the pump issue, the pump will continue to run on low speed because the spa is calling for heat, so it turns the pump on low speed and runs it until it reaches temperature, which it never does because it's not heating. You won't hurt anything on the pump, it can run as much as it needs to without hurting it. Yes you could install the board yourself, I could pretty easily talk you through it, I'm looking at a picture of it now and it looks like one of the more basic boards, would probably only take maybe 20 minutes to change.

JACUSTOMER-pxfic0wk- :Can I order the board from you, if so what would it cost. I will order it tomorrow? I also need the top controller overlay. What do I need to know to install it? We were told that we can order parts directly from Marquis, we have to go through a dealer.

poolguy810 : That's true and yes, I could get for you for that same price, you'd just have maybe $15-20 in shipping on top. You'd have to send me a contact information through my website at www.jeffspoolandspaservice.com and I could contact you with all the necessary information from there. You won't need anything more than a pair of pliars, a phillips head screwdriver and a little time, they look complicated but it's easy if you take your time and go slowly.
poolguy810
poolguy810
poolguy810