Chris (aka- Moose), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Have a Pontiac g6 05 and have had my egr valve replaced

Have a Pontiac g6 05 and have had my egr valve replaced twice. They have also cleaned the tubing. Its not fixing the problem. I'm getting really bad gas mileage the engine light won't go off and it keeps giving the code bad egr ive had the code erased like 7 times but it keeps coming back on.i had a mechanic tell me that the engineering was made to small and there's nothing I can do.
JA: Has your vehicle stalled? Has anyone run a diagnostic test to pull the trouble code?
Customer: Yes
JA: What year is your G6?
Customer: 05
JA: Are you fixing your G6 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Replaced egr valve and cleaned tubing 2x.
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Welcome to Just Answer I'm Chris aka Moose, I'm sorry you are having problems with your G6 EGR. I will do my best to help you get this resolved. If I happen to be helping another or step away during our communication, please know I will follow up as soon as I am back available/online.

• What liter engine do you have?
  • Do you know the code number?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I think it's a 6 cylinder 3.5 and the codes are P0401 insufficient flow . I used an eighth of a tank of fuel going 20 miles ? Is that related to the EGR?

IF the EGR is sticking open this will dump excessive EGR into the intake making the air-fuel ratio incorrect. That will reduce engine performance resulting in more fuel usage. Here is a link showing all the steps that can be done for diagnosing and addressing a 0401 code https://www.dropbox.com/s/vx3osau4fzff8ey/EGR0401G6.png?dl=0

Thank you for visiting Just Answer, I hope I was able to answer your questions. If you have any follow up questions on this concern please use the reply button to let me know. If you are satisfied with my answer please reply, let me know so I can complete your question.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Di you think it could be an exhaust problem like my catalytic converter. Because I've replaced my egr 2x

It can be an exhaust restriction causing excessive EGR flow from to much back pressure.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Ok thank you

You are welcome