Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have an 2005 pontiac grand prix just finish swapping the…

Customer Question
I have an 2005...

I have an 2005 pontiac grand prix just finish swapping the motor over have issue with car startibg the car will not engage starter.

Mechanic's Assistant: When you turn the key, do you get a single loud click, or a series of rapid ones?

Fuel pump engages.pulled the fuses to precebt flooding the engine but no other noises

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Prix yourself? What have you tried so far?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes im fixing my self....i have metered the voltage down to the starter gettin 12.5

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Pontiac
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/31/2018
Pontiac Mechanic: Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH replied 4 months ago
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH

Hi, my name is ***** ***** large wire at the starter should have battery voltage at all times, and the snall will have power when cranking, do you have power on the small wire when cranking?

I hooked my Power Probe up and when the key is turned to start position 7.7 volts show to the reference wire

ok, which engine do you have in this?

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix 3.8 L V6 non supercharged.. the starter and the ground wire have been replaced. The ground wire was not making a proper connection to the negative terminal on the battery the battery is fully charged this at 12.6 volts I have the jump pack on it to maintain voltage so it doesn't decrease while I'm going through the messages with you

ok, do you know where the crank relay is?

number 48 on the fuse panel block

ok, remove that relay and check all the pins for voltage with the key off, one should have battery voltage?

Getting 12.2 volts to the one of the prongs on the relay

ok, on the bootom of the relay, each pin should be stamped with a number, which one has the 12 volts with the key off?

Number 87

ok, now have some one hold the key in the crank position and see if another then has 12 volts?

Number 85 on the pin only gives me 10 2

that ok, now with the relay out jumper the cavities 30 and 87, the starter should turn over, make sure the e brake is on and its in neutral.

No dice starter did not engage

ok, with the jumper wire in it, check the voltage at the small wire at the starter,Tim

In what position starting or off position?

do it in the off position

Yeah I'm getting voltage to the reference wire

full voltage??

full Voltage.

and the lage wire at the starter has full voltage?

Yup

then you have a bad starter, or it is not grounded, can you take a jumper cable and attach it to the negative battery cable, and the other end to any metal on the starter and see if it cranks?

Can't be the starter just got a brand new starter and had it tested before I even put it on the vehicle. And the ground cable is brand-spanking-new as well and I clean the contact point for it to ground with 35 grit sandpaper

if you have 12 volts to the big wire, and 12 volts to the small wire, with the jumper installed, it has to be a bad starter,mor the engine is seized, nothing else??

Well motor turns no fowl ups there...had to turn motor inorder to install torque converter bolts....have installed two used startes and the last was a new starter. I was going to try jumping starter to just to engage motor....

if you are correct with saying both wires have power, then it s aground problem or a bad starter, nothing else,Tim

Well both of the the positive terminal on the starter is getting 12 the reference wire is getting 12 with it being jumped with 30-pin 30 and 87 from the starter relay in the off position and when you swap a 3800 there is only two grounds that you have to fuse back onto the block one is to the transmission bellhousing right there before the starter and that's a double ended bolt and then the other one goes from the wiring harness right there to where the negative and then just in case I thought that that might be issues there I put the grounds in a different location and clean the contact points...so now that we know what i ve done can we check another possibility?

just check the starter housing for a good ground, put the black lead from a voltmeter on the positive battery terminal, then touch the starter housing with the red lead and see if it shows voltage, if it does, then the starter has a ground, and if this is the case, then the starter is bad, the big wire supplies power at all times to the starter motor, and the small wires gets its power from the crank relay, if you jump the 30 and 87 it bypasses the relay and the starter will crank, if the starter is good, it is a simple circuit,Tim

Ok repkaxed starter again same issue...where to go now