Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2005 Pontiac Vibe at the mechanic right now. About…

Customer Question
I have a 2005...

I have a 2005 Pontiac Vibe at the mechanic right now. About a month ago, it developed a knocking sound that comes on only under a light load. It took us a while to see it, but basically, to get the knocking sound, you have to either have the car in gear while it is in idle or you have to have the fan come on or both.

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

One month. We can't locate it. It seems to be coming from the transmission according to the mechanic, but we are not sure.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Vibe yourself? What have you tried so far?

My mechanic has it. They are trying to isolate the sound. It sounded like it was coming from the oil pan, but they ruled that out.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It ran down 0.5 quarts of oil right before the problem started. I filled it up, and it has stayed full. I had checked it regularly; so, I am not sure how that started. I drive it 250 miles per week, and 90 of that is highway miles. It's a rebuilt engine. 150 000 miles.' I think

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Pontiac
3/28/2018
Pontiac Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 4 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you ,I will Try to Help you with This Issue
In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sunday through Friday from around 5 am to 9 pm Eastern time.Zone If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.
If you see a call request on your screen ,That is an automated feature the web site offers all customers.

Any hard shifting ? have ypu drained transmission fluid and check for any metal shavings ?

any check engine light on and have you scanned it with Mazda or equivalent scanner ?

CLICK ON LINK TO VIEW TSB BULLETIN ON THE TRANSMISSION , DID SHOP CHECKED AND RUN TEST ON THIS TSB BULLETIN

Are you looking for the most possible causes or you are repairing it yourself .

Please Let Me Know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

No hard shifting or malfunction of any kind. Just the noise. The noise started getting louder on Friday. That's when my mechanic finally saw what I was talking about. He had seen that car once a week for four weeks and not found anything.
No check engine light is on. I need to ask the mechanic what codes are showing.
I will be able to check back in with you at 12:40.

I would need that ? to be more accurate on this

does knocking happens at idle or only when engaged ?

is knocking sound where a solenoid is going on and off or is and engine sound traveling thru the power terrain and hear from there

was oil pan removed or a stethoscope used to hear the knock from under oil pan ?

No engine codes.

No worries just reply back here for me ,I have looked TSB bulletin ,none has that knock mentioned ?

no engine fault is good, but can his scanner read all Pontiac modules including trans fault ?

We will get a stethoscope on it today. The oil pan has been pulled. Everything in the engine is tight.
Definitely resonating from the power train.

ok, let me know

ask him what kind scanner he has ?

is it the flywheel shaking under load ?

the transmission pump whining ?

it will be in this area ?

awd or fwd ?

front wheel drive

click on link to view pdf file on the transmission, do you experience that in the morning or when cold ?

I BELIEVE THIS TSB BULLETIN APPLIES , LOOKING FURTHER INTO THE FILES I FOUND THIS ,CLICK ON LINK TO VIEW THE PDF FILE FOR THE COMPLETE REPAIR FOR THIS ISSUE

BELOW IS JUST THE HEADLINE

Date: October 01, 2007

TECHNICAL

Subject:
Whistle and/or Hoot Noise from Engine Compartment Under Light Acceleration with Transaxle at Normal Operating Temperatures (Replace Automatic Transaxle Cooler Hoses)

Please Let Me Know If you can view file

Thank You

Chad Farhat

The trans cooler and and clean lines will need to be replaced here .

it matches your condition

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May receive My my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciated

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You?Chad Farhat?ASE Certified Technician

The transmission does not whine or whistle. It's a knocking that might be mistaked for rocker arms or an exhaust shield (but we are positive that it is *not* those things). In fact, the thing resonates so well through the engine and transmission that we can't be absolutely sure where the sound is coming from. The mechanic toyed with it enough to show that the torque converter is a factor in the noise, but he said it could still be the transmission.

I GUESS NEXT STEP WILL BE A TEAR DOWN AND INSPECT INTERNAL PARTS AND LOOK FOR MARKS, IF THERE IS KNOCKING HE WILL FIND IT , SINCE HE CHECKED AND IT IS COMING FROM INSIDE OF THE TRANS ,

We made the decision to repair the car. The problem is now isolated to the torque converter. I am waiting to learn more.

ok sounds good ,let me know if you need anyhting else on it

If more help is needed, Please use the reply Tab to continue our conversation.

, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click here or above).

You can Rate at Any Time and we Can Continue to work on your question as This Will Not Close out your Question.

I work on delivering the best answer and help but in some cases,

It can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.