Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 1981 Fire Bird that has been sitting for 14 years.

I have a 1981...

I have a 1981 Fire Bird that has been sitting for 14 years. The Power Steering did not work. I replaced the pump and the high pressure hose and it still does not work.

Mechanic's Assistant: When was the fluid last checked? Have you heard any whining noises while turning the wheel?

It is all new and full .No whinning at all.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your car?

!981 Fire Bird

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. I replaced the Pump the high pressure hose and the belt.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

How do I check the gear box?

3/26/2018
Pete, Pontiac Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Just to be sure here.This is a 1981 Pontiac Firebird is this correct and what liter engine is in your model?

Let me know,thanks Pete

The engine has been changed to a Buick 455, mid 70's. The gear box is orginal to the car. How do I check and see if the gear box is bad?

That's neat!I bought a 1977 I believe that someone had put the 455 Buick in it.What a screamer.

You will need to see if the power steering pump is making pressure.There are pressure gauges you can rent from a parts store or purchase in some cases that thread onto the pressure line.But the easiest way is to take a pair of channel locks and with the engine running locate a section of rubber hose in the power steering pump feed line and slowly and carefully crimp down on it.If the pump is making good pressure you should feel a kick back on the channel locks.If you are almost able to crimp off the entire pressure hose with no pressure or kick back felt then the pump you replaced was faulty and needs to be replaced again.If you bought it with a warranty I would contact the facility you purchased it from and tell them it is making no pressure and they should be able to warranty it for you.

But if you have kicked back or pressure then the pump is o.k. and if the high-pressure hose was replaced then the gear is at fault needing replaced or removed and rebuilt.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Pontiac Technician