Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

We just changed the heater core and there is no heat.

Customer Question
We just changed the...

We just changed the heater core and there is no heat

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked to make sure the thermostat is working? What about the coolant level?

Coolant is full and the heat was working before the core exploded inside the cabin

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Pontiac?

2002 grand prix

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Prix yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yeah myself we just changed the core and read on this site before you started the chat that maybe there is air in the system so we're trying to bleed it now

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The bleeding helped a little bit

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Pontiac
3/22/2018
Pontiac Mechanic: david craig, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
david craig
david craig, ASE Certified Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you. Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you

with the engine running and up to operating temp, the heater turned on full blast are both heater hoses going into the firewall equally hot?

We turned it off and on and now it is working

very good.

But now the trunk and the radio display won't work

interesting. standby a few

is the radio itself working?

it is

all the instrument gauges back lighting working? and dimming with the dimmer switch?

sir from what i can tell all other electronics are working

and the trunk release button isnt working? is that inside the glove box or down beside the seat?

No it isn't neither is the clicker

does it work with the release button?

The button isn't working. It's in the glove box

ok

Okay

the prongs should be numbered 30.87,86,85. let me know if they are

sir they are

ok, do you have a voltmeter?

Unfortunately I don't lol I'm a pipefitter

ok, no problem. make a jumper wire. stick one end in where 30 would go and the other end in where 87 would go

when you insert the jumper wire, the trunk should pop open

my.buddy pooped the relay back in and started the car and the trunk randomly works now. Just the radio display isn't working now

pull the radio out and disconnect the connectors.make sure no coolant got inside anything since the heater core exploded

Okay I'll have to do that tomorrow I already have the dash back in

ok. let me know and Please note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session 3 or more stars will be greatly appreciated and will allow any follow-up questions you may have. we can chat back and forth many times until your issue is taken care of.
Thank you for rating my assistance and for using Just Answer.

hows it going?