Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Have to pump accelerator too keep running when starting.

Have to pump accelerator...

Have to pump accelerator too keep running when starting. Also dies when put in gear unless I pump, pump pump and then finally takes off and runs great

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Pontiac?

1990 bonnevile 3800

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just used starter fluid to try start faster

3/19/2018
Amedee
Amedee, Pontiac Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

Is the check engine light on?

Are there any codes in the computer?

Are you looking for some possible causes?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The check engine light is on. Last time checked was a code 41 about cam sensor signal. I removed the connector to cam sensor. It looked clean. I strayed it with electrical cleaner and put it back securely. I also pulled the spark plug wire assembly. There was some melted gunk at the bottom. I cleaned that up and cleaned contacts. Still no change in symptoms.

Thank you for that information. Was the fuel pressure checked? What about the fuel pressure regulator? If not, these would be the most likely causes for this condition. I would start by checking the fuel pressure regulator first and then go after the fuel pressure next.

Another possible cause would be an air/vacuum leak and or a MAP/MAF sensor.

Keep in mind this is a "starting point". My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Good suggestions. Can I still contact you after checking those three things - Probably tomorrow?

YES, you can reply back even after rating my answer.

I am glad I can help!

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

I just ask that you allow time in between replies as I may be helping other customers or offline spending time with the family.

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks and have a great day!!

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Hello Amedee - I borrowed a fuel pressure guage from O'Reilly. With just the ignition on, Fuel pressure read 10. With engine at idle, pressure is 20. Never goes above 20 when race engine. What does it mean?

WOW! That indicates low fuel pressure. :) Provided there are no restrictions in the fuel pressure line and there is good power and ground to the fuel pump, this means the fuel pump is weak and will need to be replaced.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I also checked without vacume to fuel pressure regulator. No change in fuel pressure, but engine coughed and sputtered and almost died when I pulled vacume hose, but the smoothed out to normal idle. Replacing fuel pump is beyond me. What other things should I check first? Could in-line fuel filter cause this low fuel pressure?

yes it could.

Do you have any further questions?

Amedee
Amedee, Pontiac Technician
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Thanks for the help. I just can't afford to replace the fuel pump. I will try to sell it.
Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Pontiac Technician