Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I pulled out the internal trans shifter. Now in wrong gear,

I pulled out the...

I pulled out the internal trans shifter. Now in wrong gear

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the vehicle have a fuse that enables or disables the shifter?

I’m beyond that I need to find a procedure how to put the internal shifter back into the transmission

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Pontiac?

2007 G6 3.9L with 6 speed manual transmission

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your G6 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I put the shifter in the car in neutral, then put the internal shifter back in

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I can’t find a pdf on line to help me

3/18/2018
Todd Audette
Todd Audette, Pontiac Technician

Hello, my name is***** to Just Answer! I will be assisting you with your vehicle questions today. Give me a little time and see if i can get the information you need

Thanks

Just to clarify..2007 Pontiac G6 3.9...6 speed manual

I'm looking right on GM service information and it's not on there either. Did you have the transmission itself in neutral when you reinstalled it

3.9L 6 speed manual transmission
No the car was in reverse, the only way to pull out the key
I put the internal shifter back in in neutral, that when I figured out it was wrong
I need to figure out to get the gears inside the trans in neutral

Can you take a pic of what it looks like inside without that shifter part there

Could you send a pic of what the bottom of that shift control looks like where it goes into the trans

I think the only way you are going to be able to do this is to put the inside shifter in neutral, kinda set that trans piece in place so the cables from the shifter line up with it. Then move the rod with the hole in it....in the trans until it lines up. If you stick something in the hole in that rod you should be able to move it back and forth and it should even turn side to side and try to find neutral where everything lines up

I did that twice already
I need to figure out the two the two forks in in side the trans, if they move up or down to line up with the internal shifter. Not sure if a service manual would show this for $375 spent

I'm a GM tech and i have access to all of GM service information and i couldn't find it there either.....let me see what i may be able to come up with. Could you give me the vehicle VIN please

Thanks

Okay so the reason i can't find anything from GM is because those transmissions were not intended to be taken apart at all....just replaced. I'm a trans builder and have done thousands of rebuilds but never one of these....That's why there is no information available anywhere

What was the reason for taking that off in the first place

This vehicle has an open recall on it too...#13036

I car was locked in reverse
Come to find out there is a lock pin on the internal shifter. It is not getting power to retract it to be able to into first gear etc...
A guy on G6 forum said to pull this out. What a costly mistake

Shit....yes

Would you be able to give me the part number on transmission
I found one on eBay that is brand new, but it says for a 3.5L engine
Maybe would fit a 3.9L ??

I can but it would't be until tomorrow when i'm back at the dealer.....part info i don't have...I would have to have my parts department look that up if you can wait until then...it will be before noon that i would get that to you

Todd Audette
Todd Audette, Pontiac Technician
Sounds good!
Thanks

You will have that tomorrow

Hello
I had great success this afternoon
I was able to put it in by put the shifter in reverse, kept putting the internal shift in and out. Took about three hours. I took a break then it when in properly on the second attempt. I still need to find out why the shifter lock out pin doesn’t have power to retract. Right now I have it out and put a bolt in place

Great news. I'll try to find a schematic

Thanks

That must be a rare trans and not used much....i can even find anything on that reverse lockout

Ok
If the car must be put in reverse to pull out the key. I don’t see a reason to have this working. I was hoping it was a blown fuse.
Thanks