Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I need to install a bcm in an Aztek. I am wondering if I buy…

I need to install...

I need to install a bcm in an Aztek. I am wondering if I buy one refurbished if it can be programmed by giving them the VIN? I know this is true of the PCM, but unsure of the BCM. Thank you.

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your Pontiac Aztek. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

I am replaceing the BCM, PCM and having the wiring under the seat redone. It currently will die if I shift it into reverse. If I remove the back up bulbs, it will not die. It sometimes starts and sometimes needs jumped. It has 153000 miles.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/18/2018
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

It will need to be reprogrammed at dealership which they will charge around $100 for, there is no way around this. My goal is to provide 5 star service so please let me know if you have more questions. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay, what about the PCM?

The PCM can be bought and programed to vin. Did recommend replacing these two components?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will most likely be doing the work myself. I worked in a garage for over a decade. Do you have access to current TSBs if I supply you with the VIN?

I can give you TSB's without vin. Give e a few minutes, thanks.

What year is Aztek?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
2001 and I have located a bcm from another of the same year and mileage. There is no chance it would be okay without being reprogrammed. Trying to save money where I can.

N​o it won't be ok, radio will be locked, airbag light will be on, and some accessories may not work. Give me a few minutes to pull up TSB's thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have located a new AC Delco BCM, but I would like to install it. Should I install it and then take the vehicle to them or do they somehow just program the part?

You will need to install BCM, do the 30 minute relearn procedure, then you can drive it to them to reprogram.

-

Here is list of TSB's, you can google any of the numbers to get more info on them or ask me. Let me know if you have questions. Thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v57881gza9m4ybm/tsbs.pdf?dl=0

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What all does the relearn procedure entail? Is this something the vehicle automatically does to learn?

You will need to do the 30 minute relearn as shown in following link. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tye6pyiwz5owpye/relearns.pdf?dl=0

Dan, Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry, my computer glitched. Thank you for all of your help. I will rate you as excellent now.

No problem, I'm happy to help. Let me know how it turns out or if you run into questions, you can reply to this answer at any time without additional fees. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you very much sir. It has been an honor speaking with you.

I appreciate the feedback, make sure to keep me updated or let me know if you need anything. Thanks again and have a good night.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How do I know if the Aztek is a GT or not?

I​t would say GT but that shouldn't matter as far as ordering any parts. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Dan, Technician