Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a ticking sound coming from the dash of my 2005

Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a ticking sound coming from the dash of my 2005 Pontiac Sunfire. It stops when the motor is off.

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

It just recently started. I can't pinpoint exactly where it's coming from. More on the passenger side of the dash.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sunfire yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing yet. It seems to possibly be coming from the glove box area.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yea, I've also been having trouble with my battery draining. I don't know what is causing the drain on it.

3/18/2018
Chris (aka- Moose), Pontiac Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

Does the noise speed up or change if you rev the engine, engage D or R on the transaxle, change the blower speed, direction, or temperature?

The noise stays constant no matter what I do. If I could equate the sound to anything, it would be a ticking time bomb. Very rhythmic

Being I can not hear it and nothing seems to affect it. I could only figure this out in person. I will opt out.

Could you at least give me possible causes? I'm assuming it has nothing to do with the motor but there must be something causing it. Could it be something to do with my heating system even though my turning the heat on and off doesn't seem to affect it? What is behind my glove box area? It seems to be emanating from there.
Todd Audette
Todd Audette, Pontiac Technician

New tech here

Yes it could be one of the electrical actuators that moves one of the doors in your heating and air conditioning system. See if the noise goes away when you switch from outside to inside air

The noise is most likely coming from the air inle actuator which operates when you press the re circulation button on the dash

I tried all the different levels on the air circulation and it stops when I put it on the car with a C option.

Okay that is the re circulation button which switches from inside to outside air....That is the air inlet actuator that is making the noise and will need to be replaced

Thank you so much. Do you know how much it will cost me to have it replaced? Is it something I can do myself?

Unfortunately this particular actuator is in a very difficult spot to gain access to and the dash will have to be removed in order to replace it...it will cost several hundred dollars

I apologize for the bad news but this is the case...if you need more help please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. I would ask at this point that you click on the stars and eave a 5 Star rating for providing you with your answer and i will be available for follow up questions you may have a s rating 5 Star will not close out your queston

Todd Audette
Todd Audette, Pontiac Technician
Todd Audette
Todd Audette
Todd Audette, Pontiac Technician